Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving and other things

Once again, I'm back to the weekly writing. It makes it hard on an old man because he forgets so much. I will try to remember at least some of the things that have gone on in this past week, though I know there is more to put here.

Our son had orchestra duties to do on Monday and Tuesday nights of this past week for the play at Bingham High School of Fiddler on the Roof. Our daughter went with her friend from across the street to watch the play on Tuesday evening. I went to Young Men which was the Scouts meeting together to go ice skating. We had decided that if the budget allowed it, we would try to let a couple of the boys get the merit badge so went again. As it was, they only charged us $8 for 10 Scouts and 3 adults. Not bad! Three of our Scouts got the merit badge.

This time around, I got figure skates instead of hockey skates and after I got used to them, I thought they were a bit easier. I also tightened them up enough that maybe I wouldn't rub my skin raw at the ankles to the point of bleeding. It was better all the way around.

Wednesday evening my wife was making sure she had all she needed to make green bean casserole and a sweet potato casserole. Not too much happened that evening.

Thursday was Thanksgiving. We got up and just did a few odds and ends around the house. My wife was running out of time on making what she had to make and asked me to do the green bean casserole. That was a little bit runny, but it was still good. I have to say that the sweet potato casserole was wonderful. Everybody loved that.

We were about 15 minutes late to my in-laws home. But, it was a wonderful meal and we had some good conversation. My wife had gathered a few girl things for Chantelle's daughter, and we gave some of that to her. I think she is grateful for that stuff. It was pretty good stuff. My wife is one of the most giving people I have ever met when she perceives that somebody may be in need. She doesn't like it when people take advantage of that kind of thing though.

There were no family fights on Thanksgiving and that is something else to be grateful for. At least Rod and I didn't get into anything on politics or religion.

Black Friday came along. We didn't do too much. Our son and daughter did go out and came back with shoes for our daughter that were not on any sale. Later, we went to a couple of stores after getting tickets to "New Moon" of the Twilight series. My wife got some new shoes on a deal and our daughter got one more pair. We watched New Moon, which is a romance and a chick flick. Our son was wondering if he should put on a wig and go so that nobody would recognize him. The show was pretty good, and followed the book. It was funny listening to the women and girls ooh and aah when Jacob (in the movie) took off his shirt. I told my wife to not have a heart attack over it or anything.

Saturday, Anne came to our house to get her hair done (after work). Pam also came over and we went to breakfast. We had to call our son because he was out and about looking to get some used Wii games (Rockband). We brought some stuff home for my wife and Anne. They stayed for a bit and then took our kids home with them, as well as Lizzie.

The BYU/Utah rivalry game was on Saturday. I was cheering for the UofU. They lost. The U started out with 6 points in the first quarter to nothing from BYU. In the next quarter or two, BYU was 20-6. The U came back in the 4th quarter and tied the game at 20-20. Then a field goal from the U and then a final touchdown from BYU in overtime. Final score was 26-23 BYU winning the game. I called and congratulated our daughter for her school winning. A bit later, I heard what the QB from BYU said about the fans, the program and everything else about the U, and it made me mad that anybody would say that in his position as a leader. To top things off, the UofU's coaches wife ended up being hit by a rabid BYU fan and when she said "Hey, I'm a woman, he just told her that she was a U fan. She had a fat lip. Why is it that rivalries have to get this way. Some good clean stuff would be the way it should be. Anyway, the QB did apologize today, but I still don't like the guy. What a jerk!

Today I didn't go to church. We stayed home and got a phone call from our daughter asking us what size pants and shirt our son wore. We told her, and then found out that they had to get some clothes for him because his were soaking and stinking from a little dip in a "pond" in Bountiful. I guess our dog jumped into the water, and our son thought the water would only be up to his knees and got in to save her. The water was a lot higher than he thought (he never touched the bottom), but he got our dog out and then got out himself. It wouldn't be so bad, except the water had started to form a little bit of ice when he got in. I am grateful that he and the dog are well.

We also got a phone call from Kathy in Florida. She is trying to plan something and wanted to know what date would be good for us because I have my daughter down there as well. I had to contact my daughter and when I finally did she was a bit mad at me because I texted her to call me immediately rather than ASAP. I guess immediately means that there is something wrong, and ASAP just means to call me soon. We arranged the date with Kathy and will have to wait to see what the surprise is.

We watched a couple of movies at home and then went to Bountiful to have dinner and to pick up our kids. It was a great dinner. We came home, and now it is time for bed so I can get up and get to work in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home