Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Marching Band - Weber

I had to leave work a little early today so I could get to Bingham High School to be a chaperon for the Marching Band to go to one of the Venues. In this case, that venue was Weber State University. This is the school that I got my Bachelors degree from, so it was a good one to go too.

I also had to clear up a couple of things for our daughter at school as far as money paid and so forth. She was a bit upset when she thought she couldn't get her jacket from BHS with her name on it and the fact that she plays the flute. I also got some insurance information in.

I got on the first bus to be a chaperon. We were asked to not allow any PDA's (Public Displays of Affection). This included boys putting arms around girls. As the trip started, I noted a couple of boys who were sitting with girls so I could keep my eyes on them. I saw one girl putting her head onto the shoulder of the boy she was sitting with, and then he was keeping his arm around her. I told another chaperon that we had a PDA. She asked if I wanted to be the mean one or her. I thought she preferred that I do it, so I walked back there and picked up his arm and put it to his side. I got a look of why, but no argument. Then, the girl looked up at me and it was one of my daughters best friends. She had a look of don't tell my mom (of course I won't). Anyway, my daughter will probably hear about that one (she already has - I told her).

There were no other issues on the trip up, and that was all fine with me. Instead I just visited with one of the other chaperons. We talked a bit about the difference of raising kids now vs when we were growing up, and how we watch so much more (out of necessity).

We got a nice place to park at Weber that was out of the way of all the other bands. It was also beautiful and we were able to look down at the sunset from there. We had a dinner of Tacos and then the kids were taken to watch a couple of the groups doing the Marching Band thing. I stayed back because I had a couple of phone calls that I was dealing with. I have found that my insurance probably won't cover the various drugs that I am told I need because insurance companies don't like the word compound drugs.

Everybody came on back and then there was practicing and I just visited with bus drivers, chaperons and other people that were there. We also had a lot of the other bus drivers come to our group because Graber invites them up to eat a good dinner (most schools don't seem to do this). Graber only charges $35 for the Marching Band season for these dinners and there is a lot of food that the kids have from this. It is well worth the money.

We finally went to the field around 9:00 in the evening. As we were waiting to go on the field you could look straight across at eye level and see the quarter moon. It was quite beautiful. I tried to get a picture of it but couldn't because of the lights on the football field. That was a bummer.

We set up in good time and the Marching Band played. They did a good job and we got the stuff down in good time. Unfortunately, we did not get everything packed up in as good of time as all that. We were finally able to leave there and got home at midnight. Not a very good time since I get to work by 6:00 AM and my daughter has to get up for school about 5:45.

I was asked to trade buses because one of the mothers wanted to be with her son. From what my daughter says that didn't happen because he came onto our bus. I think the real reason she wanted me there was because she had seen some potential problems with people in the back of the bus. She told me that they were using foul language and she saw a potential problem and that she thought a male presence should be there. Of course, when I got there, my daughter is right in the middle of all these guys. They were loud, but I didn't hear any foul language (well not terrible enough to say anything). The bus driver did announce that according to Jordan School District policy no boys and girls could sit in the same seats when it is dark outside. I had one boy sitting by a girl and had him move. They, of course thought this was ridiculous, but I had to enforce it. As it happened, they wanted to watch a movie together on her ipod on the trip home. They had to hang their heads in the aisle to share the headphones while watching the ipod. Nothing happened to really talk about, but I was watching various people on the bus and thought about the awkwardness of the age. The boys were being stupid to try and impress the girls or make them laugh. I'm certainly glad I am no longer where they are now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home