Sunday, August 16, 2009

Marching Band - Zach

Our daughter has joined Bingham High Schools Marching Band. She spent all of last week (Monday - Friday) in what they call camp. They practiced from 8:00 AM until 8:00 PM each night (well they got out a little early Friday evening). On Thursday evening I had to go to a parents meeting to learn a little about what is going on and they like you to volunteer. I volunteered to be a chaperon on two days in September (riding those buses is really fun).

After I got out of that meeting, I noticed a bunch of kids coming in from their daily activities. I heard one boy telling his father that two girls had fainted while out there. The first thought that went through my mind was, "my daughter was one of those". When I caught up with our daughter, I asked her if she was one of the two and was answered in the affirmative. The other one was also a flute player and our daughter helped her through it as she knew it was coming to her before it actually did. Based on what I'm hearing, I think it was just the heat.

Having Friday off, I didn't really do too much. Our son went to the Lagoon and our daughter was with the Marching Band. My wife and I went out to lunch and just did a couple of things and then came home. I enjoyed the time with my wife, but being home was kind of boring. We picked up our daughter a little bit early and she wanted to get ready to go to the Bingham High football game with her friend. My wife and I went for a walk. While walking we stopped and talked with one of our neighbors. She told us how she was having a difficult time going to church until she could get her mind straightened around a bit. She doesn't need the extra guilty trip. She feels like a failure because all of her adult children are not behaving in a good way. She worries about the tattoos, the drugs and the deciding I'm gay problems. I felt that it was good to talk with her, and hope that in some little way we helped her out. We certainly understand somewhat the trials she is going through.

While we were talking, we watched our son drive our daughter away (I guess he came home while we were talking). We just went home and didn't do too much. I joked about going to the game to spy on our daughter, but we didn't (unfortunately). A little later our daughters friend (who she went to the game with) called us accidentally meaning to call our daughter. They were separated and she didn't know where she was. She hung up on my wife. I headed out to the school to see what was going on (you know the hero thing). On the way there, I was called from my wife telling me that our daughter had gone to Apollo Burger but would meet me in the front of the school. We didn't know what we were going to do about the friend yet (her parents were out of town in St George and we were trying to be helpful). When I pulled into Bingham, I picked up the friend (she was wandering around) and asked about our daughter. She knew by now that she had gone to Apollo. Then my wife called and told me to go pick her up at Apollo. I did. It seems that my 15 year old daughter decided to go to Apollo Burger with two boys (both 16). She said that one of them was having a sugar deficit so she was helping him out by buying him an ice cream cone (I don't know how far to believe this). Anyway, I drove them both home and then my wife and I had a conversation with our daughter. My wife had also called the others parents and we talked to them a little bit too. As far as we know our daughter is more guilty of something than the other (but we don't know about the friend). Well, it seems we'll have to watch our daughter a little bit closer.

Saturday was kind of a lazy day for me. I watched a video and did the laundry. I really didn't do much else.

Today, we went to church and got home so we could wait to hear when Zach was coming in. We finally got the call and headed out to Pam and Annes house. We still had a time to wait and visited with Pam and Anne. Later, Brandon, my in-laws and Melanie came. Then Marie and Scott. Kiki was already there. Finally Zach came in with his grandparents and we all went to Chuck-A-Rama. We had a nice dinner and my wife and I had a banter with Scott on how to get your children to be honest with you (of course this coming from a young couple without kids). It was a fun banter.

We had the Magruders follow us home so we could give them some glasses that Zach had left at our house. My wife felt bad that they had to drive all the way out there to get these glasses because we should've thought about bringing them out with us. Oh well, we can't think of everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home