Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Young Men Super Activity

I have had a lot of problems going on at work on Monday and Tuesday. There are still a few things that are not working correctly in the new way that we have chosen to go. I guess I'm grateful for this type of thing because problems is what keeps me in a job. But, I spent two days so far in trying to fix problems and I am still working on one of those problems. I do have a work around on the problem but that is only temporary because it is a manual process. I don't want to have to babysit it so closely.

Monday night, my wife and I went to an Empty Nester's party (they hold these once a month). Even though we aren't Empty Nester's, they told us we could go because we are at the age where we easily could be. We had a great time and great food while we were there. My wife also took on the October Empty Nester meet.

On Tuesday I left work and prepared to go on a Young Men Super Activity. We went to the Bees baseball game and then to camp. In the morning there was some bike riding and then we went to Millers Motor Sports in Tooele, Utah. Following is my take on it all.

We left the bishops house around 6:15 and arrived at the Stadium for the baseball game just after it started. We had some seats that were out in Left Field. They were pretty good seats, but the game was not that great for the Bees. They were playing Nashville and just weren't doing that great. We left at around inning 6. The score was 6 to 1 in favor of Nashville when we left. We did have a hot dog and drink for dinner.

The campground that we were supposed to go to just out of Grantsville Utah (the same one we went to for Fathers and Sons this year) was unavailable. They got called on the day of and told that we couldn't go there because the fires had burned it up and they weren't sure if they were completely out or not. We got another campsite at a place called The Spruces up by Brighton, Utah. We had to be there by 10:00 so the gates would still be open. That was the reason we left the game a bit early.

Putting up a tent in the dark is not so fun. We were the first car to get to the campsite. My son had collected the firewood before going, so he started to build a fire while I was trying to set up the tent with the flashlight in hand. The dirt was also hard, so the stakes didn't go in to easily. My son got the fire going and then came and helped me finish setting up the tent. We then went to the fire and roasted marshmallows for smores. There were two other leaders that also set up tents. A couple of Scouts slept on the ground, my son was in my tent and five of the biggest scouts slept in the trailer that had been rented to put their bikes in. I don't know how they fit in that trailer comfortably. The bishop slept in his Durnago and said that since the trailer was attached to it he felt it rock any time a scout moved. I stayed up till just past midnight. The sky was nice and clear. If I could've stayed up it would've been nice to see the meteor showers around 3:00, but I was too tired.

We woke up and put everything up. One leader got up and got the fire started and then finally the rest of the Scouts woke up. They made breakfast and then went on their bike ride. I stayed behind partly because I am not in shape, but mostly because they barely had enough bikes for them (a couple brought two bikes for others to use). I wandered around the camping area during the time they were gone. I was also in communication with work about some problems going on there. They did finally get it all done.

After the bike ride we headed to the Miller Sports Park. I was given some verbal directions but the main highway I was told to take was shut down just before we got where we needed to be. I had to find another way in. I got a bit lost, but made it to the right place in time.

We all put on neck braces, a head sock and a helmet. We then went out and got some quick instructions and then were able to race. We broke the group up into two groups of seven each. After the first 10 minutes of racing, I was a bit tired. I had held my own though and only two people got past me. They had a bit faster carts than I had as you could tell by the straight ways. The second time I got out there was something wrong with my front right tire. It looked concave while I was ripping around the track. I lost traction going around a right turn and the cart would slow down. When I got done with that I told them about it, and it was that my tire was going flat. It certainly was hard to do. I was quite tired after that one. I think I can only take two 10 minute races at a time. We kept the head sock we had been given as a souvenir or to go back and save $2 when we race again. We ate at McDonalds in Tooele just before getting on the freeway to go home. It was a great time.

I have to say that tonight I am quite tired. I am thankful for Ibuprofen though. It helps me get through the aches and pains of being an old man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home