Thursday, June 25, 2009

Deaths Sad Tale

This week started out with not much to really talk about. It's not unlike most weeks, but sometimes I talk too much.

Tuesday, I was told that the Young Men (Scouts) were going to meet at 6:30 PM and that we should wear our scout shirts. We were going to go to the Bingham Copper Mines. They let Scouts in free of charge, thus the shirts (which we try to wear most weeks anyway). Well, I got there on time and some of the other boys did as well. All of these boys already had the merit badge (Citizenship in the Nation) that this visit met part of the requirements on, but they were willing to go. The others came a little bit later (they were passing off another merit badge) and they had already met this requirement. We decided that since none of the boys complained about going here for the others, and came and were ready to go, that we would go out for shakes instead. We went to a fast food place and got all those shakes. We just used it as a time to get to know the boys and for the boys to just be able to be together. We don't normally do that, so, I think it was actually good for them. I also didn't mind because I got to get home earlier.

Today, at work, we were able to go to a park for a department lunch. There were a couple of games that we played and we had a nice extended lunch. It was kind of fun.

One thing that happened today was that there were two celebrity deaths. Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. Farrah Fawcett's was expected while Michael Jackson's was not. Fawcett had cancer that took her, but they are still waiting to find out what it was that took Jackson.

One thing that I find a bit disturbing is how when celebrities die like this, all the people know about it and a big deal is made, but forgotten are the other "regular" people who die. For example, today a little boy died at the age of 7 from an ATV accident. It received some attention in the news, but nothing like this. My wife pointed that out to me. Also, about last week there were three children deaths in one day. One died in a Motocross accident (age 8), one died by drowning in a friends pool (I think 2 years old), and one died of a gunshot wound accident at her birthday party (I think 5). The fact that I don't know more about these people (let alone their names) is kind of sad. I'm not saying that we should make a big deal out of their deaths, but certainly we should probably make a bigger deal out of them than we do when a celebrity dies. My wife watched a special 20/20 on both of these celebrities tonight. This will be heard around the world for the next week or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home