Sunday, September 27, 2009

Marching Band - Nebo

It's been a few days since I have written. I have been busy with work. There have been new things added that have added to my workload. I am grateful for this type of thing because it is what keeps me in a job.

Thursday evening, I had to run to the school a bit early because our daughter was feeling quite sick. She was shaking and crying. She seemed OK after I picked her up, but I am sure a part of it was that really late night last Tuesday when they were at the Weber review. It just went way too late. She needs to get some of her rest. It was a good thing that my kids had Friday out of school for a teacher prep day. It gave her the time she needed to get some rest. There really isn't a lot to put down that was done on any of these days.

Yesterday was the day of note, and the reason for my writing here today. My wife had been doing laundry and taking care of the various things in the house because she knew I wouldn't be home to help her out on Saturday. My daughter and I left around 10:30 in the morning to go to the school. The buses were leaving at around noon. There is all the loading and finding out what is to be expected of you as a Chaperon. At the beginning of the trip, I met one woman who had short spiky hair. It was that way because she had just finished with some chemo for her breast cancer. She had a double mastectomy and is now cancer free. She seemed to have a pretty good attitude about it all. She said that she has thought of putting some color on the ends of her hair because she may as well have fun with the hair loss that she has experienced.

When I got on the bus I was to be on, I couldn't find a seat. I ended up sitting with one of the students. It was OK. The bus was loud, but bearable.

Once we got out to Payson High in Payson Utah, we started to set up and get ready to have some lunch. Derek, my nephew came over because he thought he had seen me. Both my daughter and I said hi to him and he told us that he was there with his girlfriend who was over the color guard for I think he said Provo High. He wasn't sure he would be there when we took the field.

We had lunch of Hogie sandwiches. They were quite good. I talked a bit with Graber and the guy who was over the color guard. He and his wife were going to take off after the competition to go on their anniversary in Park City. I mostly wandered around the area and talked to a bunch of different parents that were there. I didn't hang with just one or two people. I got around to most of the people.

One thing that we noticed was that we were running out of water. We had to go into the school to get some water. We were filling those five gallon jugs out of the drinking fountain at first until we found a janitors closet that we could get it from. I carried two jugs (with somebody else) back so the kids would have water. I ended up carrying one other jug on my own. That kind of wore me out.

While the Marching Band and Color guard were warming up and practicing we were just kind of watching. One funny thing that happened was that the sprinklers turned on to our color guard. They all got wet.

Finally, we got over to the field. I was asked if I cold get the podium to the other side of the field which I said I would do. That's when we realized that the podium didn't make it with everything else. We were close to going on, and the podium was back at the base camp (the exact opposite corner of the whole school plus seminary building from where we were). I needed to run to get it. As I was running to get it I was wondering how I was going to get it back in time. Even if I ran, I wasn't sure I would be able to do so. I couldn't even run all the way back to the camp (I did walk quite fast). I was breathless by the time I got back to where it was. I saw a man and woman on the lawn in our area and asked if they were with Bingham High. They said they were and I asked for a ride. The podium was quite heavy to carry the distance I needed too plus the speed thing. On the way back, another of the mothers was looking really ragged from running to help out. She only made it about half way. We picked her up and she was more winded than I was. She asked the guy who his student was and he said that he was the bus driver. I hadn't realized that. It was a good thing his wife came to be with him out there, because it made this car possible. Anyway, we got there in time. I was told to stay back with the podium to bring it back across the field when they were done.

All of that finished and we loaded up. We then parked the trailers to the side of the road and watched the end of everything. We stayed for the award ceremonies. Timp View took about everything (including 1st place). We ended up taking third place out of the four schools that were there. It was Binghams first year in the 4a division, but Graber really wanted us to beat out Orem High. We were only about 2% behind them. Riverton won't be any competition at least. So, the sights that Bingham is setting on is to beat Orem. Graber doesn't think we will be able to take Timp.

When we got back to camp, I drank a lot of water. I was quite dehydrated. They packed everything up and we were on our way back.

There was one boy and his girlfriend that thought it quite funny that I kept on telling them to take their arms from around one another. It was just a game to them, and it turned that way to me as well. The trip home was louder than the one there. After we put everything back into the school, I took our daughter out to Apollo Burger to eat. That made her feel better since I had told her that Mom and our son had gone to the cabin and ate at Dairy Keen. Well, that was the day with the marching band.

Of course, today being Sunday, we went to our church meetings. Nothing much happened there. The rest of the day was spent in just relaxing and taking it easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home