Sunday, November 30, 2008

Wedding, Thanksgiving and other stuff

Another week has come and gone. It has been a pretty good week. There isn't a whole lot to write about though.

Last Tuesday, I finished up with my work for the week (minus a little bit that I have done Wednesday and then again today). After work, I went to Young Men. My son and daughter had theirs cancelled, but we met so the boys could finish up their Citizenship in the World merit badge. Brother Wallace did a great job in keeping the boys attention, in such a boring Merit Badge (I guess I shouldn't call it a boring merit badge, but I am telling the truth). It is good for the boys to get this Merit Badge.

Wednesday morning, I had to get up early to check on my jobs at work. I did get them all checked, as I promised Paul that I would. My wife and I then had to leave so we could get to the Salt Lake Temple for Tia's wedding. We got there in good time and on time. The guy that conducted the marriage did a good job, but I felt that he was turning it more into a lecture than simply giving the new couple advice. It was good, I'm just not certain of the timing. Of course, after they both agreed to marriage and after they were sealed for time and eternity, we went to meet them outside in the freezing cold. We got the pictures taken and then my wife and I went over to JB's so we could have a diet coke and talk for a bit before the wedding breakfast. We then went to the Joseph Smith memorial building and watched a couple of women putting up the Christmas tree. At the appointed time, we went up to the top floor and had the wedding breakfast. It was a great meal, and they even had some talk about the young couple as they were growing up.

We hurried on home from that so we could let our dog out of her kennel. The kids came home from school and then after a quick dinner, the kids and I headed out to Bountiful for the Wedding Reception. My wife stayed home and made a couple of pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving the next day. I visited with a few people at the reception that I knew from the time we lived in Taylorsville (we had bought my brothers house and it was his daughter that got married). It was good to come in contact with a few of them after all these years.

Thursday morning we got up and I helped to get some mashed potatoes done for the Thanksgiving dinner that was held at my parents house. Probably around 40 people showed up for that. After the dinner, a bunch of us headed to the park so we could play Ultimate Frisbee. As I looked around the field, I was the oldest person there with my brother who is five years younger than I. After that, the oldest was about 15 years younger than me. I did a lot of running and had a little bit of asthma from this. My son tripped me a couple of times and then there were a couple of other people I ran into. I guess I was one of the aggressive players that wasn't too good. I also hit Mike pretty hard when he went into the air to catch the Frisbee. I was only trying to catch it as well, but he went flying. It didn't look too good, but he said he was all right. We went on playing. From this game, I am still stiff and sore today (a couple of days after the whole event).

My family at this time left my parents house and went to Pam and Anne's house where they had had Thanksgiving dinner. We visited with them for most of the rest of the evening and then brought Zach home with us. We were all pretty tired and went right to bed.

Friday morning I got up and at around 9:00 I went out with our son to go pick up our daughters gift and to look into an Ipod ITouch for our son. We did end up picking one up for him, and since he now knows what he's getting for Christmas he wants it now. We told him he would have to wait for it. He's not too happy about that, but he has no choice.

The one thing I went to pick up at Best Buy wasn't in. It had gotten lost by UPS so we were given another day to pick it up. I did get a discount on a warranty that I bought because of this delay. It was really busy and it is terrible to shop on Black Friday, but we got some things accomplished.

In the afternoon, our daughter went to see Twilight with a couple of friends. She was a bit perturbed at us as parents because we wanted to know who she was going with. There was one boy in the group of girls, and we learned what we could and discussed with our daughter that we have responsibilities as parents and that this is all a part of it. While she was there, Zach played Mario Kart on the Wii and the rest of us didn't do too much. We then watched The Hulk in the evening.

Saturday morning we irritated Zach because we got up too early for him. It was 9:30 in the morning, but he was sleeping in our family room and we met in there and I had done the dishes as well. He then went into our sons room to sleep.

I headed out to return one thing that we had bought our son before the ITouch, and it was good that we had talked to him because he wouldn't have liked it near as well. He said that to him, Rock Band is the same as Guitar hero because he would only play the Guitar on it.

We did a few things on Saturday, and then Zach headed over to my in-laws so he could meet with one of his moms friends for lunch. She has been a good friend through the years, and I'm sure that Christine was happy that Zach could meet with her and discuss things. The people that knew his mother and father are all he has to try to keep them in his remembrance. Anyway, we sent our son, our daughter and Zach to their grandparents home.

My wife and I watched a video that we had and then got ready to go to Gladys house for a party. We had our son and daughter meet us there, along with the grandparents. The party at Gladys house was great, and we had a light dinner and then just visited with various people in the extended family.

Today was church. The Young Men met with the Young Women. I went to that and listened to Brother Medierous on free agency. He did a great job and I know I got something out of the lesson. I don't know if my kids did or not, but I certainly did. I then went and helped my wife out with Ally. Sacrament meeting was kind of testimony meeting, but it is where you tell of a favorite hymn and then the congregation sings one verse of that song. As usual (when they have a meeting such as this) we were late getting out.

There's not that much more to tell. I'll call it a day, and quit writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home