Sunday, October 12, 2008

Freezing Cold Camp

I had the day off work Friday. My wife and I just stayed home and really did nothing. I made a mistake when we were getting ready to go out to eat of going outside and cleaning up some stuff instead. This made it so we really didn't do anything, and it caused some contention. After the kids arrived home, I got ready to go to a camp so I am a trained Scout leader. I wasn't looking forward to this because all of the news reports were stating that we would have a cold weekend. It was also supposed to snow during the weekend. The news wasn't wrong.

We went to the Willows where I met for the first time my patrol. It was a team of six individuals. Glen wasn't able to be to the whole thing because he had a daddy daughter date with his primary aged daughter. He did surprise me however, by showing up both in the evening as well as in the morning. I helped a few people set up their tents. The tents were big enough that I was able to put up my bigger cot. I decided that I would be as comfortable as possible on this camp out (don't I always). The wind was blowing extremely hard and it was about 40 degrees outside. This made for the cold camp. After setting up a couple of tents and getting situated, I helped to put up a wind barrier under the canopy where there were tables and such. We had a dinner of Lloyd's barbecue sloppy Joe's. That was good and sloppy (and warm).

Friday evening, we all huddled around a camp fire that had been set. It was the only way to keep somewhat warm. The wind was blowing south and you could see that in the way the flames were blowing. It was a hard wind. The leaders of this event told us about building fires (the training segment) and told us what was legal and what wasn't legal within the BSA guidelines. We also went over skits and talking to the Scouts around a camp fire with some good stories. We were told to never tell them scary stories as you never know how well they would sleep after that. There were other tips given to us as well. We learned about the proper use of knives and axes in a Scout Camp (Glen taught this part) and then my patrol did a skit. I didn't have to help them out with that. There was just a bunch of chit chat around the fire then, and one of my patrol went home because he had to take care of his kids in the morning while his wife did some stuff for the Relief Society.

It was a cold night, and it was one that you really didn't want to get out of your sleeping bag from. I had a blanket in my sleeping bag. It was a bit colder than I had anticipated, and I woke up periodically in the night because of that cold. It wasn't overwhelmingly cold with the blanket, sleeping bag and long johns. I did have to get up for a nature break in the middle of the night. I considered not getting out of the bag though. Nature won out and I did get out of it.

We all slept in Saturday morning, to the point that we really didn't have the breakfast they had planned on. Instead we had a bunch of leftovers that were around as well as a Muffin. It was enough for me. We took down the tents so all we had left was some training. It was still cold even though the wind wasn't blowing as hard. We were given information on things like first aid, orienteering (once again this was taught by Glen), plants and animals (we had to go out and find signs of animals as well as find various plants in the area), and other things. There wasn't a lot that I hadn't heard before. It was a good review though I wouldn't have come to this cold of a camp for this kind of review under normal circumstances. It didn't rain or snow on us during the night, and the only times we had that moisture coming out of the sky was when we had to find the animals and plants and when we did the orienteering (isn't that the way it goes). Thank goodness that there wasn't a lot of snow though (and yes, it was snow). I was grateful to be able to leave around 12:30 in the afternoon.

I went to Lowes to pick up some weather-stripping that we need on the doors to our house. I knew I wouldn't be able to put it in yet because it was unseasonably cold during this weekend, but at least I have it all so I can put onto the doors when the weather is a bit better.

My wife told me a little bit about the wedding reception she had gone to in my absence. I wished I could've been there because I would really like to talk with the Nielson family from our old ward. But, I wasn't able to make it there.

This morning arrived early and I found that I was a bit worn out from the weekend. I did get up and go to church after starting a crock pot dinner. Everything went normal in church and we had a fairly normal Sunday.

One thing that I was grateful for was that our kids decided to work together on a homework project our daughter. They built a version of the Eiffel Tower out of K'nex blocks. Our daughter started on it and admitted to me that if her brother hadn't of stepped in it wouldn't have been so good. In fact she said that it would've been awful. I am so proud of my son and all the good things that he does. I am also proud of our daughter. They are both great kids.

My son got honored in priesthood meeting for going on Thursday evening with one other person in the priests quorum to help move things at the food bank. They each moved over 9,000 pounds around in under three hours. He has been the only one to do all of the service projects. He also helped James with his service project on Saturday. He is certainly getting in the service he needs to get in.

Well, that's all I have to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home