Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Politics

Another week has come and gone. The United States economy is reeling because of the failures of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (mortgage companies). Add to that AIG and Lehman brothers and you have one major mess on your hands. Currently, congress is trying to come up with a 700 billion dollar bailout for these companies because if they utterly fail, so does the US economy. President Bush had a 15 minute speech tonight to talk about some of the problems. While he feels that companies have the right to fail in this country, he also feels that we need to do something to fix this or all of our 401k's go down as well as everything else.

In the meantime, John McCain (presidential candidate) has said that he will suspend his campaign starting tomorrow until congress comes up with a solution to this problem. He asked Barak Obama (the other candidate) to join him and has asked that the presidential debate of this Friday be delayed until a future date. Barak says that a president needs to be able to handle more than one thing at a time and this debate is important. While I agree that a president should be able to handle more than one thing at a time, I also feel that it is better to work on this financial crisis first rather than prepare to do more than has to be done. The debate doesn't have to be done and it simply doesn't make sense to pour energies into it at this time. Yes, I am liking McCain a lot more than Obama. All of this stuff is making America nuts. The Dow Jones has been all over the board and there have been big losses and big gains. Anyway, people are calling it a bold move of McCain to drop out of the presidency race until things are taken care of. That just makes this election more interesting.

Another thing I wanted to mention in this entry is the time spent over at my parents house last night. After I got home from work, my wife and I went with our son to SLCC (Salt Lake Community College) where he is taking some concurrent enrollment while he is in high school. He has two instructors over there that we went to see. Our son had done a speech in one of the classes and the instructor said that he had done well. He did say that all of them need to work on animation and getting people excited about what they are talking about, but that with our son he could tell that he knew the material and did well. He got one of the highest grades in the class on his speech (which was 48 out of 50). That is all great for our son. Oh man, I got off track.

Well, after that, we went to my parents house because Eilene is in town from North Carolina. We went to see her. We saw some pictures that she had taken of the improvements she is making to her home and it all looked nice. Then there was some political speak around the house. Shelly mentioned that she really liked Sarah Palin as the VP pick from McCain, and my wife said that she really didn't like that pick. My wife feels that Palin doesn't really have the experience she should in order to be the VP (and possibly a president if McCain dies). Of course she feels the same way about Obama too. This was a little bit discouraging. At one time, one of the relatives said that they weren't a bigot. I mean they even knew some blacks that were good people. With a twinkle in my eye, I just said that I also knew some whites that were good people as well.

Things moved forward and another of my brothers started to talk about those who were voting for Obama didn't seem to be well educated. Well, at least in the issues. This was disturbing to both my wife and I. I mean, I am not voting for Obama either, but I didn't like what they were saying because I have heard the same thing coming from people on the opposite side as well. My wife also took something that I said in a negative light. She mentioned something about watching "The View" (a television program that is hosted by Barbara Walters and other women talking about various things) and I guess I said something to the effect of of course you got this from the view. I know I didn't mean it to be demeaning, but my wife took it to be so. I guess I have to be more careful about my words as well.

While it was nice to see my family, and especially Eilene, there were parts of that night that I didn't like. We did bring Lizzie (our dog) over for a little bit so some of the family could see her (they wanted too). She is just a darn cute dog. We had her trimmed that day as well, so she was looking her best.

Another event that happened this week was that I took my son up to the conference center so he could see what some of his responsibilities were going to be as an usher for general conference. While he was in his meetings I went around temple square and ended up in the Assembly Hall in a fireside listening to an acupella group called Eclipse. They were bearing testimony and singing LDS songs. That was enjoyable.

One other thing that made me proud as a father, was that my son actually got out and sold some cookie dough so he could make some money toward a trip that the school will be taking to Florida. It still has me nervous where we will get the rest of the money (it is going to be upwards of $1000), but at least we have a start of around $200.

Well, that's all for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home