Sunday, August 24, 2008

The week moves on

I really should write a bit more in here than I do. I am kind of a slacker when it comes to doing this kind of thing. I do feel that at least I am writing about once a week.

So, what's happening this week? Not a lot to write about. Maybe I need to live a more exciting life so I can write stuff in here. But then again, be careful of what you ask for because it may come down to a type of excitement that is unwanted.

Our kids stayed over a night at Grandma Wachs home. They were there to visit with their cousin Michelle. My wife took them over and then I went there from work a little bit later. When I got there, our kids weren't there because they had all gone out swimming. We were there for a bit and Melanie had gone a little bit haywire with her bipolar problem. We were able to fend off what she said mostly by reasoning a bit with her and saying that wasn't what happened. When called on a lot of it she was in agreement that that wasn't the way it was. Thankfully, she was done with her multiple outbreaks by the time our kids and Jeff arrived. We ate some food and then went home.

Jeff took our kids home the next day. They really didn't do too much during the day, but our daughter had to get to her piano lessons and then it was Young Men and Young Women. We all went our separate ways for that.

Scouts that night was on pioneering. I also drove Tom to pick up another guy in the Order of the Arrow so we could have an election for Dallin to join their ranks. I hadn't ever really seen any of that type of thing so it was more interesting to me what they did than it was really of interesting material. Dallin seems to be happy that he was elected into the Order of the Arrow.

Our son finally finished his last merit badge on that same Tuesday evening with Brother Goodner. That is one less stress for us to have. Now, we need to get him to fill out the paper work and then move on to get this thing finished out. Actually, Travis filled out most of the paperwork for that tonight. I am proud of him for getting this all accomplished (no matter how hard it was).

I also hope our daughter doesn't get lost in all of this attention that is on our son. She deserves her time in the sun also. Sometimes, I think the kids get a little bent out of shape when it seems that the other is getting all the positive attention (nobody seems to like negative attention).

Time just kept on moving this week. We were getting ready for school and some time was also spent in trying to get material for our porch to be done by Keith. As a matter of fact that took up almost my whole evening on Wednesday night. Lowes screwed up in what they ordered for me to take home. We got most of it finally that night, but it wasn't an easy task. Keith could tell I was getting agitated with the people at Lowes, but I felt proud of myself for not blowing my stack, because I was more angry than I have felt in some time. It just is frustrating when you are finally getting somewhere (well more or less). At least we have most of the material now in the backyard of my home. We are missing the risers for the steps, and that is about it.

I also struggled with our watering system. Something went wrong with the timer box. It wasn't doing AM/PM stuff at all. So, it looks like my backyard hasn't been receiving the much needed water. A good portion of the lawn looks dead (although it looks like it may be coming back) and I thought I had fixed in Wednesday evening. I didn't completely so I had to work on it again. It seems to have gotten its memory all screwed up as far as times go. I have that corrected now, and it seem to be working now that I have messed with it a bit. It will be interesting to see if it gets jumbled up again.

Friday evening was our ward camp out. My wife and I had set it up before we were released from the Activities Chair People in the ward. We decided to only go to the night festivities. Our daughter was going to go to the Lagoon on Saturday for a friends birthday party. We had a few issues with getting up there and some stress entered our car on the way up. Before we left home, we had to get Lizzy into the vets office. On Thursday evening we had taken her into an Emergency Veterinarian because it seems that she has an infection where she was spayed. They looked at her briefly without charging us the $75 (which we are grateful for) and told us we could wait to see our vet the next day. This at least relieved us that we probably wouldn't have a problem with her for the time being. We wrapped it up in an Ace Bandage so she couldn't lick the area at all. I then stayed home on Friday from work and worked from home.

The vet was really good with our dog just before we were going up to the mountains. He gave us an anti-biotic for her and told us to try to keep her from licking the area and hopefully the stitches will heal and the infection will leave. He said that it can get so bad that it would actually blow open the work that he had done. Then you have a bit of a bigger problem. Since he was the one that had spayed the dog, this visit and the anti-biotic were free (that works for me).

Back to the ward camp out. We, of course, had our dog (with the Ace Bandage) and we also had a dog crate that we had purchased that day. Lizzy doesn't like the crate very much, but we had to put her somewhere during some of the time that we were up there. We were able to visit people and go down to the lake to watch our daughter in a canoe. There was also a zip line, but it didn't seem that it was our ward using that (though we had it all reserved). We had stayed a bit late that night (about 9:00) to visit. Of course since I hadn't filled up the car on the way up (and we got a bit lost) there was the stress to my wife that we would run out of gas. With her stress, I got a bit stressed, but we really didn't have a problem with that at all (thank goodness). We got gas in Kimball Junction. We took home Cambry and then went home ourselves.

Saturday, our daughter was at the Lagoon all day long. She didn't actually get home until 12:30 in the morning this morning. We were a bit concerned about that because that is just too late for a 14 year old girl. Anyway, my son and I ran a few errands on Saturday. It was just a bunch of odds and ends.

Sunday there was church. Soon after church we went to my moms house for her birthday (it was actually Saturday). We visited with my parents and my dad seemed more back to the way he was a few years ago. We got some good stories about his early career that I don't ever remember hearing. We also got to know my parents a bit more with dogs that they had up to just after I was born. I had in the back of my mind that we had had dogs, but I really don't remember them. It was a surprise kind of because my mom doesn't really like dogs that well anymore, and I found out that as a child and even as a young adult she did.

We then went to the in-laws house. We visited there for a time. Melanie blew her stack a bit, and it didn't help that her mother wasn't able to stay calm. I went for a walk with Melanie and we didn't come to any kind of consensus, but we at least got her calmed down enough that we could come back home. She has worries about her two boys. One she hasn't talked to for quite awhile and the other she had seen beer on his table last night when she had gone to a baby shower. The reason she is so concerned about that is because of her husbands alcoholism that finally killed him (along with the cocaine use). So, she has some valid concerns, but there are also some that were kind of invalid because her memory is a bit slanted. She was going back 17 years ago when she was taken to jail and blaming it on those of us that were at the cabin that night. That isn't exactly the way it happened, although we probably need to take some of the blame, but it is the way she remembers things. I mostly just talked to her calmly, and hope it helped.

Well, that's about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home