Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Chemo

What an ugly word, Chemo. I know when I hear it, I cringe. This is the word I heard from my cousin Steve today. I finally called him. My wife has been asking me to do so for a little bit. To go and visit him. It was just a little bit ago that he was in the hospital having a testicle removed because of cancer.

I called today. I didn't completely identify myself and it took him a minute to recognize who I was. I think he was glad I called. He sounded like he was. He asked me how things were going, and what could I say, but great. I mean when you consider the alternatives of what life hands you, I am doing great. We are struggling a bit with money right now, but that is peanuts. We will pull out of that shortly. Steve is dealing with cancer.

He told me that he would be seeing his oncologist tomorrow. The oncologist will give him the time schedule for his chemotherapy. He does know that it is supposed to be hard for about six months. He is concerned about it kicking his butt while he is trying to keep his business running. His mom, of course, wants him to stay at her house while he is going through all of this. Steve is independent. Always has been. Always will be. But, then again, never say always. Who knows what circumstances will do to him. He said it was great while he was with his mom after his surgery. He also expressed concern about being with her in the time that he is going to chemo. By being at home, he is closer to his business needs. So, when he feels good, he can work. When he feels bad, he doesn't want his mom to see him sick. I told him that he could get a web cam for both he and his mom that he could leave on, and that way stay at home where his mom could watch him. He kind of laughed about that and told me he would consider it.

We weren't able to talk very long. I called him during my lunch and he had to get in the shower so he could go to his girlfriends grandmothers funeral. He was hoping that the snow was done for the day so they could have the graveside services without the storm. As it was, it is cold enough. The weather did hold, so he got his wish there. The terrible part is that part of Steves business is taking care of snow removal. It was a busy day for him and he had to try to hurry up so he could be with Susan during this trying time for her.

Well, work was slow. I left an hour early so I could get home to go to the first ever student lead parent/teacher conference at my kids school. It used to be that you go into the gym and stand at every teachers station waiting your turn in line to just find out the grades and have a brief talk with the teacher. The student lead part is where your student goes and introduces you to her teacher and then grabs a folder that they have prepared beforehand. They have gathered all the grade assignments from all the teachers as well as filled out a questionnaire about how they are doing (things like they turn in homework on time). The teacher has also answered the same questions so you can see if there is a discrepancy. This is all in the homeroom of the student. There is also a place for the teacher to put in some comments. The student is also asked to put something in from each class that they were particularly proud of and could show to their parents with an explanation. After about 10 minutes you then can go see any teachers that you think you need to talk with. We talked with Mrs. Gordon (the math teacher). I got some of my concerns off to her, and she told us that our daughter would pick it up later. It didn't take too long, and I liked the way the student lead parent/teacher conference went. I hope they keep it that way. We rarely need to talk with any of the teachers because our children (thank goodness) do pretty well in school and are well behaved.

We went to the bookfair (even though we don't have much money - sounds like a song coming on). I talked briefly with Mr. Jensen (the principal) about our daughter having to take algebra over again and that I didn't want her to go back to Mrs. Gordons class. He asked why and then asked if it was because we did not agree on homework philosophy. I told him that this is the reason I don't want her in Mrs. Gordons class, and he understands. The thing is, my daughter said it wouldn't be too bad. We'll just have to wait and see what the schedule is, and if we want to change it we were told to call the school. Our daughter does want to take dance, and that is with Mrs. Gordon. I told her that wouldn't have too much homework (probably) unless Mrs. Gordon wants them to talk about the Geometric patterns of dance.

Tonight, I got out and shoveled some of that snow off of our driveway. There was still about 2 inches after a bunch of it melted. It was icy underneath it. I relaxed for a good portion of the evening while my wife was doing the hair of Connie. I mostly just stayed in our room. I also did a little bit of work on my personal PC to try and set up things so I can check out books from the library on my Palm TX.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home