Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Aftermath

Since I have last written here I have been trying to make lifestyle changes. My hardest challenge on the lifestyle changes is probably candy. I love candy, even knowing that it is not good for me. Or as my son taught me many years ago, it may not be good for you, but it is good for me! Seriously, though, that is the hardest thing for me. I have cut down on it, but can't quite quit the habit.

Probably the reason the regular food isn't so hard for me to give up is because my wife has taken it upon her to make sure we don't have some of the other foods in the house. She threw away my Marie Calendar pot pies that I had in the freezer and I have been reduced to eating the more healthy frozen entree's. The Healthy Choice steamers aren't too bad. I have only had two of those in this past week. Mostly we have been watching what is in the food as far as calories. Oh, another hard thing for me is going to be cheddar cheese. I still eat it, but have cut way back on it.

I have also quit drinking cokes. That hasn't been difficult for me. I simply have chosen not to drink them. I haven't even had a carbonated drink since that fateful Saturday evening that I went into the Emergency Room of St. Marks Hospital. I continue to drink my water the way I should. I cheat a little bit and use a generic version of Crystal Lite to put in the water. I drink 32 ounces of it that way at work and then fill up my cup again for up to 32 more ounces of water while working. That's one of the healthiest things that I do.

Over this last little while the biggest problem that I have had is where they put the catheter in my groin. It has been a bit painful to me. Of course I have been told to not lift anything over five pounds so I have had people around our home doing all of that for me. I wasn't feeling bad enough to not go into work. I went to work on Wednesday morning and got told by Debi that I am a workaholic. She thinks I should've taken more time off work. I saw no reason too as I haven't been feeling that bad. It's been good for me, but I did tell people at work not to stress me out (just kidding). At work, there is one of the other programmers who went in with this same type of problem over New Years weekend. He works on RiskMaster just like I do, so we decided that this is probably the problem of our stress and thus our heart attacks. You know how it is, you have to blame somebody for your own problems.

I finally went for a walk with some of the people at work today. This was the first time I felt up to a real walk. They walk about a mile and a half. When we got back we went to a health fair that work had in the conference room. I'll have to look at a couple of websites now for some health tips.

Anyway, I am eating healthier foods, I have cut out carbonated beverages (I'll still have these once in awhile) and I am going to start walking most days. I will be healthier than I am now if it kills me.

On Monday, I took a day of sick leave because my wife wasn't feeling well. I mostly had to get the kids off to school and then spend the day lounging about the house in case my wife needed anything. We decided to go to Dr Daynes as a new family doctor. He is in our ward and we have heard good things about him. We got an appointment for that day at 1:30. It went well, and I was impressed with him as a doctor. I still don't know that I can go to him when I have to turn my head and cough. Our daughter has also been sick today as well as last night. My wife took her to Dr Daynes and she has a viral infection rather than the flu which we thought she had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home