Sunday, November 04, 2007

Roof and Gutter Heaters

Friday was a busy day at work for me. There was a lot that I needed to accomplish, and I didn't finish all of it. I expect the whole of next week to be a bit busy as well. I'll pull through this, but it is taking too long.

In the evening, my wife and I had set up for a meeting with the Activity Committee. One of the three couples showed up. I am not going to say which one, but we were grateful to have at least them there. We came up with the Christmas party ideas that we were going to do. We decided on a potato bar along with brownies and ice cream for dessert. Later, my wife and I decided that we should also add a salad to the menu. We also made a few assignments, although we have to still get those out to the people. We talked about the program and decided that we would try to find somebody to read a story or find it online that is already done. The story is "Teach the Children". I kind of looked for the story online but could not find one that doesn't have just the words. I would like to find it on Youtube or as a microsoft presentation. If anybody knows where to find this, I would appreciate it. Of course we will have Santa come and give out some kind of gifts. It was a good meeting.

As a part of the meeting, I made my wife feel like I railroaded her. We had printed up a couple of ideas and didn't even talk about them. She also felt like I attacked her when we were discussing the food and what kids would and would not eat. I certainly did not feel that I attacked her, but I can see how some of the things that I said would be seen as such. I guess that is part of the problem with my communication skills (or non-communication skills). It's something that I will need to work on.

Saturday came along, and I had decided that I would take care of getting the water turned off (as far as the sprinklers goes) and to fix up our roof and gutter heaters to try to control ice flows coming off of our house and onto the walkway. That part took no time in comparison to adding another heater to the other side.

I went out looking for the heaters (it's just a wire that heats up that you put on your roof) at Home Depot. I figured that I needed about half of what was on the other side. I had 80' on the other side, but then figured that I would need an extra ten feet because I would have to double back. The Home Depot had two sizes 60' and 80'. The 80' one was only ten dollars more than the 60' one, and as I thought about where the plug was, I figured that it was the way to go.

The first thing I had to do was to get the cord down the drain and to the ground. That was the most difficult part of this whole thing. I had to tear apart the drain pipe because there were a couple of curves I could not get the cord to go past. That was a pain, but it was the best way to finally take care of it. I'm sure that a word or two escaped my lips that I shouldn't have said. This took me the majority of the day. At the last part, Pon came over (from across the street) to help me. I was grateful for that because I am afraid of heights and he was able to go to the places I would've had to go to in order to finish this out. Buying the 80' cable was the right choice. I was glad to have this over and done with. For the evening, I relaxed and watched a couple of movies.

I set the clocks back one hour last night as daylight savings time is now over. We had also talked to our son and he told us that he would be home early Sunday morning.

I was awakened at around 5:00 AM this morning by our son telling us that he would be home in about 20 minutes and to meet him at the school. I put on some clothes and headed over there. I got there soon after the bus had arrived. We then had to wait for the second bus. It wasn't fast in coming. As I got questioning about it, I found that it had been involved in an accident at the point of the mountain. It had hit a deer. It's front headlight was out and there was a cracked windshield. We ended up waiting until around 6:30 for it to get done with all the police reports and then come along. We just had to get one lousy suitcase off of it.

After arriving home we told our son to go to bed. He just kind of fell asleep on the floor over a heater vent. He later went to his bed. I got back into bed as well to sleep for a bit.

Our daughter got a call in the morning asking her to meet at the church a little bit earlier. She was called to be the President of the Bee Hives. She is a bit nervous about this, but I think she'll do a wonderful job as she is very good at organizing things (I just wish she would organize her room a little bit). Nothing much happened today. Our son told us tid bits about his trip, but we didn't get a full picture. I think he enjoyed it (especially going to Disneyland).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home