Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Buses and Teenage Kids

It was a busy day at the office. I was able to accomplish quite a bit in pretty good time. It's a good thing too, because it made it so I felt better about taking off from work early in order to be a chaperon for the Marching Band. I had to be to the school by 3:30 in order to do that.

At work though, I got a pretty big argument started (not on purpose) about school vouchers. Most of the people at my office (including me) are against these vouchers that would make it so parents could have some of the state funds if they want their children to go to private schools. The amount would vary from $500 to $3000. It is just a bad idea. Brent and Paul really got into the argument. It was loud and almost everybody in the office got involved. It was interesting to see all the emotions at work. I certainly did not think my simple question to Brent would start off this fire storm. I kind of felt bad that I started it, but, it was kind of interesting to watch.

Anyway, the day went on. I got to the school, and got onto the bus. There weren't enough Jordan school district buses available for the school, so we had on district bus and two commercial buses from Lewis brothers. The least filled bus was the district bus, because people wanted to go a bit more in style. I was on one of the Lewis brothers buses.

As we were traveling on I-15 to go to BYU for this competition, all of a sudden our bus started to slow down, and then pulled over to the side of the road. The bus had overheated, and we had to sit there on the side of the road for about 15 minutes. It finally was cool enough that it was able to start and then we had to merge back onto I-15 which gets a bit harder when rush hour traffic is starting. We finally arrived at BYU and I commented to the teacher that the only thing worse than being on a bus with high school kids was being on a bus pulled over and broken down with high school kids. It really wasn't that bad. The kids were pretty well behaved.

We had a sub sandwich dinner, and then the Marching Band had to change into their outfits and practice. The weather was perfect (other than it got a bit windy). Finally, around 7:00 PM it was our turn to go onto the field for the competition. Although I was helping hold onto some of the equipment on the trailer, BYU had to check to make sure everybody had tickets to get in. I had been in once and had a stamp which made it so I did not have to leave my post holding onto this stuff on the trailer. I was glad for that, but what a pain in the rear it is to have them be so picky about it all.

Once we got out there, the parents had to help set up all of the stuff and then clear off the field and let the program go on. As a parent, I thought they had done a good job. Riverton high school took first place and then Bingham (my sons school) came in second. Not bad, particularly when you consider that Riverton is supposed to be in the higher class. It was just as Graber (the director) assumed it would be.

Rather than watch the rest of it and wait for awards, I stayed back with Mr Graber, and another lady that goes to all of these. We put the trailers on the bigger trailer and took care of a lot of the harder things for the kids to be putting onto the trailers. Since two of the buses (the commercial ones) had left, we had all of the kids clothes scattered all over the place and this made it a bit more difficult (but not too much). This would make it so we could get ready to leave that much faster. The buses came just before we needed to load them. We weren't sure how long it would take, but it worked out OK.

We got back to the school about 11:15 tonight, and my son had a headache. He said that he had had the headache all day long. It was a migraine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home