Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Service

Today and yesterday were busy days at work for me. I have been taking care of some of the issues that have been coming up with this latest conversion and we have now found one more problem that we are going to have to rely on Doug in Oregon to take care of. We hate it when we have to rely on him because it is hard to get him to do anything that we need in a timely manner, and we are never sure of the results because he tends to do patchwork work. We'll pull through it alright, but its kind of a pain.

Well, yesterday, after picking up our son from school (the Marching Band thing) we got him home to eat some dinner, and then he and I headed out for the Wards house to help out with the sod. Sister Ward is a member of the church, but her husband isn't. He has a cast on one of his legs and the people he had contracted with to do his landscaping bailed out on him. One of the members of our ward told him he would get ten guys to come over and help him out on Monday (which is the day we did it). He thought at first it was a landscaping company and asked how much. He was told that Kool Aid ought to do it. Yes, he realized it was the ward coming over.

Anyway, my son and I were only there for about 2 hours. They had to rake the ground as well as putting the sod in. Some were working on putting the sprinkler heads on for them. We mostly hauled the sod into the backyard. It was a good service project and Brother Ward (I know he's not a member, but refer to him this way mostly because I don't know his first name) was in tears as he watched all the people who came over. He choked up every time he thought about it. That is true gratitude.

Tonight, I went in to pick up a quart of paint for my doorway on the back door. That's all I did so far, but will be putting it on sometime in the near future. I also got some colors for my wife and I to look at for the back porch. It was good to see my wife relaxing in the backyard when I arrived home. She needs that. She has been so tired lately, and I hate seeing that. She did come into the house in time for a haircut tonight (actually she did three).

The kids went over to a combined Young Men/Young Women activity. They were helping the Gustavos family move in. The Young Men moved the food storage (two years worth for eleven people) to the new house and the Young Women helped set up the new house. I think it was a good service project for them. Our daughter asked us if it would be OK to take Melina (her best friend from across the street) with her to Young Women partly because she thinks the boy her age in the Gustavos family is cute. I told her she could take Melina to any activity with the Young Women when my son pipes up that she can't take Melina to baptisms for the dead. Melina just looked a little confused with that. Trust my son to say something like that. He is a bit like me that way.

Well, that's about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home