Monday, October 08, 2007

General Conference

There isn't too much happening in my life right now. I took both Friday and today off of work since my kids were out of school. My son did have to go to school today for Marching Band though. That was kind of a pain. We really didn't do anything with the time off, but it was nice to have it off and not worry too much about what is taking place at work.

On Thursday, I was able to finish out some check information that needs to be taken from the RiskMaster database and transferred over to Zions bank. Now that this is done we need to wait for Zions to OK what I have done. Hopefully, that won't take too long, but you never know.

Friday, I grabbed my daughters flute to take it into Summerhayes Music to have it looked at. We have been paying an extra $4 a month to have insurance, and I thought we may as well use it. Of course, silly me, I thought we were about done with payments on that thing only to find out that I have another year before it is ours. It was used when we bought it, but seems to work well enough for us to use now.

Saturday morning, we started out watching conference, but then my mother-in-law called and was wondering about a cake for my father-in-laws birthday on Sunday. My wife told her that Costco had some of the best cakes that she had had, so I told my wife that maybe we should look into getting a membership there so we could get that cake. We went ahead and did that. We left home listening to conference in the car, and went to Costco. Of course, you can't leave the place with just a cake. All in all, we spent almost $200. That's par for the course. That did include the fee of the club membership and we got a nice pan to bake a turkey in (we are almost certain Thanksgiving dinner will be at our house again this year). It started to rain pretty good when we were in Costco.

Soon after arriving home with all our goods, we got a call from Summerhayes telling me that the flute was ready for pickup. I took our daughter and we went to pick up the flute. I asked about what if anything was wrong with it, and they told me that some of the keys were bent, and that this happens a lot of times when kids take apart their flutes because of the way they grasp the flute. They had fixed all of those keys and we talked with my daughter about how to take it apart. She says she doesn't get the wind sound anymore from her flute now that this is fixed. That was probably worth the insurance that we have been paying on the flute as it sits.

We arrived home in time to hear the rest of the conference. Of course, our son was out in Logan (in the freezing cold) doing his Marching Band thing. They didn't have good weather, but he says they were better prepared for the cold this time than they were at the last one. He got home at around 7:30, so we both missed priesthood meeting that happened at 6:00.

Sunday morning, we listened to conference and my wife fixed up a cheese ball so we could take it over to my parents house for dinner over there (this is something we do on every general conference). We had our son drive us over there, and he ran one red light and then when we were trying to go around a bus (that was stopped) it decided to start moving as we were turning in front of it. That was two scares, but we made it through everything OK and unscathed.

Just before the second session of general conference came in, my dad and mom called us in to talk with us. They gave us two documents. One was lighthearted (no pun intended, as you will find out by reading further) and the second was some questions and answers my dad had asked his doctor about Congestive Heart Failure which is what he was told he has. He told us that he could live for quite awhile with this, but it just isn't good news.

We watched the second session of conference and then left to go to my in-laws home. There, we had a spaghetti dinner. We wished Rod a happy birthday and then visited for awhile. We left early enough that my wife wouldn't worry too much about my son driving us home.

This morning we really didn't do too much. In the afternoon, I took our son to school for a marching band practice. He was there for a couple of hours. After I picked him up there were all kinds of sirens around our house. My wife called to make sure we were OK. We had to pull over a couple of times for emergency vehicles. Soon after arriving home, we went to see if we could find the problem. A house was on fire about two blocks from where we live.

Tonight, we headed out to a park and played with some frisbees for a little while. Being an old man, I got worn out before I wish I would've been. It was fun though. We then went to a fast food place to eat (Wendys). There wasn't much else to do, so we called it a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home