Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sick and Tired

Not a whole lot has happened for me to put in here. I had been coming down with some sort of bug that is like a cold, but it completely wears you out (worse than any cold I have ever had). I was able to work on Wednesday and Thursday with it (and even went to Young Men on Wednesday evening), but about Thursday evening, I knew I would be calling in sick to work on Friday.

Sure enough, Friday morning I was wiped out. I called in to work sick. My wife didn't want me on the couch because she had Ellen coming over to get her hair colored. I stayed in the room for a good portion of the time, but did shower and come out after awhile. I watched Gods' Army, States of Grace while I was in there. It was quite an emotional movie. Anyway, I came out and they mentioned they were hungry. I was feeling a bit better, so I went to Subway to pick us up some sandwiches. After eating, I started to feel drained again, so went to bed. Pam came while I was in there (and I didn't even hear her) and took our daughter to spend the weekend with them. I later talked with my son, and though he didn't say so, I think he was feeling left out. We went to the store and got some hot dogs and crescent rolls so we could make piggies in a blanket (since he likes those). Not too much else went on this day.

Saturday, I was still down. I woke up quite late, and the Scouting for Food drive was going. I knew they were supposed to meet at 9:00 at the church, but I wasn't even awake until 9:30. A bit after that, one of the boys came around and picked up my son. I was supposed to help out (even though I don't have a calling) but was too sick to even think of it. I had joked about the no calling, no work, so I wonder what they thought about it all. Well, my son came home after a little time out there. It was another day of doing very little (if anything). I started to feel a bit better Saturday evening.

Sunday morning came along, and other than a cough and some sniffles, I was feeling pretty good. While I was showering, my wife came in and showed that a son of some friends of ours was in the obituaries.

Since I was feeling well, it looks like I would be going to church. We had told Anne that she could bring our daughter home after she went to church with her in the Bountiful Community church. Because of the later time of our church this was possible. My daughter got home just in time to get to church. My wife swears that no matter what time church starts, there just isn't the right amount of time to get ready for it.

Priesthood meeting we had the new High Priest group leaders sustained as well as the Elders Quorum presidency. Of course, after that it was just priesthood meeting as usual. All the Young Men met together as well as the Young Women.

They had a hard time figuring out where we would hold Sunday School. First, it was in the relief society room and then it was in the gym, then it ended up in the relief society room. We all had a good meeting and went into the chapel for Sacrament meeting. This was the first time in this ward that they didn't have to open up into the gym. As the business went along, the bishop joked that all should stand up and then those whose names he didn't call could sit back down. He basically did all the sustaining in one fell swoop. The Relief Society, the Young Men, and the Young Women were all sustained. There is still the primary, so it is a bit nerve wracking to me. I really don't want to work in the Primary. We'll see what happens.

During the Sacrament, we had to tell our daughter to be quiet. There was a bit of an attitude. She had a friend sitting by her, and we need to have a talk with our kids.

Tonight, we had a family council where we could talk about some of the attitudes that have been happening lately. I opened up the meeting with prayer and tried to get people to express their opinions (which had been expressed to me). It was like pulling teeth. I finally talked my daughter into me telling about some of her feelings. She would like for her brother to have the talks that they used to have. She was also upset at mom thinking she could never talk to us except in anger. She doesn't feel like we listen to her or care for her. We talked about a lot of this, but I don't know that we got anywhere. We all made commitments to try harder at communication. Hopefully, it will work out alright. My son didn't say anything. It was mostly with my wife, me and our daughter.

After the kids left, my wife and I talked. She is dealing with depression as happens to her about every March. She is frustrated with me because my communication skills are not the best. She is concerned that I cannot take over the family in the way I should. It was a bit hurtful for me to hear some of it, but it is a starting point for me. We concluded that we need to get our temple recommends again (they expired the end of February) and make a commitment to get to the temple once a month. We also discussed a possibility of seeing what kind of professional help we need to get to help put our family together.

Oh, one other thing that we found out today about that death. It was a suicide. We suspected as much as the obituary didn't really put in the reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home