Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving

Today was Thanksgiving Day. There wasn't too much going on at my house this morning. My wife had cooked the Marie Calendars pumpkin pies that we were asked to take to my parents house last night. My mom told us that she would have Cool Whip, but that isn't good enough for us. There must be real whipped cream.

The time finally came that we headed over the river and through the woods (oh wait, that was out onto the smog filled streets) to grandma's house. As usual, most of the family was there, and it is a big crowd. Some final touches happened, and then we were ready for the dinner.

While we were eating dinner, Kevin called (from prison) to talk to his wife. He said that they had a good turkey dinner on this day. He has been complaining about not having enough food to eat on most days, but today was nice. We all yelled hi to him (when you have over 40 people yelling it makes quite a noise).

There was some general cleanup after dinner, and my wife headed to her mothers house briefly to visit with them. That didn't last very long because she didn't feel comfortable there with her mother getting mad at her. In the meantime, I headed over to the park to play Ultimate Frisbee.

Everybody had a good time playing this game, but some of us older people thought we should shorten up how far the goal posts were. Since I was one of the two oldest, I was called as team captain. My oldest brother played despite his scleroderma, and I had to stop to catch my breath a couple of times. Asthma got in the way a little bit, but not too much. I also had the Frisbee thrown into my mouth (when I was about 2 feet away) from Derek. It drew a little bit of blood, and hurt a bit, but the game must go on. Larry told me that I wasn't a dog and shouldn't try to catch the Frisbee in that way.

After all of that, we came on home and had some of that pie. My mom was trying to get that cool whip from it's frozen state with a beater. It was a good thing we brought our own whipping cream.

The kids played for awhile with their cousins and then we headed out. We went over to my in-laws house to spend the rest of the day. We just visited with them, and my son got hungry again. My kids ended up going home with Pam and Anne, and my wife and I headed home on our own again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home