Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Zach - Health Care - Caucus

There's not too much going on, but I had better write something in here, or I'll forget.

Friday evening, Pam and Anne picked up our two kids to take them home for a final time for them to spend with Zach (their cousin) before he heads back to Johns Hopkins University. We didn't do much with them gone.

Saturday, we called to see what was going on and they said they were going to go to the Wach's home and then get some gelato. We headed over for this and to spend some final time with Zach. We had done some housework in the morning, so we were good to go. We also stayed over there for a spaghetti dinner. It was quite nice and we had a good time visiting with family.

Dee Anne and I thought we were going to be taking our kids home but they did not bring their clothes with them and so they went back with Pam and Anne to their home. It was Stake Conference and Dee Anne and I also missed going to it (we really should have gone but didn't).

Zach left Sunday morning and Dee Anne and I showed up to Pam and Anne's house around 5:00 for dinner and then to take our kids home. Marie and Scott showed up and Anne did a little bit to help her cut a dress that Anne had made a while back but Marie wanted it to be shorter now. Anne had to get to work. We didn't stay very long. It was a good time though.

I was disturbed most of Sunday as I knew that The House of Representatives of this country were probably going to be passing this health care that I have been worried about. We call it Obamacare, and I don't believe it is a good thing. There are good things in it, but it is also taking away some of our current liberties. I was right to be disturbed. It passed with only Democrats passing it through reconciliation so they just need a few votes. They chose to do it this way because they lost the super majority which made it possible for Republicans to filibuster the whole process. While this reconciliation has been used in the past, it has not been used on such a huge bill, nor has it been done in a partisan manner. In fact, if anything is bi-partisan it is the rejection of this bill (35 democrats voted against it). The arm twisting that has gone on behind the scenes with the Democrats has been terrible. This is something that we really should take out of existence. At the end of the day, they did pass it.

Nothing much went on yesterday. We all kind of ignored each other.

Today, at work, we had an all employee meeting. As usual, I got bored just being there, but it is something that they expect us all to go to. I wish I could say that I learned something there, but it was more of the same and I already pretty well knew how the company was doing. I didn't win any prizes either, or it may have been a wee bit more fun for me.

We just had sandwiches tonight and then I went to a Republican Caucus. First though, today is the day that Obama passed the health care bill. He is hoping that the amendments that the House Democrats asked for (in return for passing this bill) would go through fast. Republicans are going to do everything to get the amendments back to the house where it can be scrapped. It's kind of doubtful they can do it all though.

The Republican Caucus. Wow! I was a bit late because the lines on the roads just getting into school were phenomenal. The roads were completely backed up. I had to park about a half mile away from the school. When I got to the school, there were oodles of people in the building in various lines. I was glad that I didn't have to get into the unaffiliated lines to sign up to be a registered Republican. Instead, I looked at my card to see that I was in precinct 3530. I went to that line and found that they didn't have my name. He let me sign his roll if I was going to go over and sign up to be a Republican. I went and stood in that bigger line to register (though I knew I was registered). When I got to the front, Bill Ashton was there and had a different precinct number that I didn't have. It was at that time that I found out that our precinct had split. I just had to go to precinct 3521. My name was on that list (so I wasted time in the one line). I had to also take my name off of the 3530 precinct roll.

After all this, I went to the auditorium. It was crammed full of people. They say there were 1200 people at the school. It was hot in the auditorium with standing room only. In the long run there were also people out in the hall that could not fit in. We joked about having to call the fire marshal in to kick out those who did not have a seat. There was some business done at the beginning and then they read the Republican values statement. I found that I agreed with most of the values, but a couple I didn't. Cans went around to collect some money for the party and then we broke off into our precincts.

There weren't very many people there from my precinct, which was a bit scary because I did not want to be a delegate. I guess I didn't need to worry. That did not happen. We voted for the officers (not hard because only one person wanted to be in each position), and then voted for a group of three (I don't remember what they were called) where four wanted to be there. We picked the three and then the State delegate was to be chosen. We needed two. We had four that signed on for that. We had to vote twice to get that through. Each of them had to speak and people were concerned with how conservative they were as well as would they vote against Bob Bennett making it back into office. That was all taken care of and after I talked with Bill and Lisa on the way out, I left.

It was a long night, but interesting. All of the caucuses in the state of Utah (Republican) were filled up. Partly because people seem to be against Bennett for Senate, and a bigger part was because people are up in arms about our current president and Obamacare in particular which was signed into law today. I am quite discouraged. Right now thirteen states have joined a lawsuit against Obamacare for forcing us to have health care. People don't think it will go anywhere, but we can only hope. I am glad that Utah is one of the states on that list. There are 23 other states that are also looking into filing lawsuits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home