Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Derek and Andrea got Married

It's only been a couple of days since my last confession.... wait, that's not what I mean... It's only been a couple of days since I last wrote. I just thought I should say something about a marriage that happened today.

First, I'll start by stating that Tuesday evening, I went to Scouts where we had Bro. Bean teach the boys about Personal management. He did a good job and for the most part kept the boys attention. Glen had his computer set up so we were able to look at a couple of stocks for the boys to track and hopefully, they all start working on the three months tracking of finances for the completion of this merit badge.

Today I stayed home from work. There wasn't a lot of reason to go into work because Derek was getting married to Andy (Andrea). I enjoyed sleeping in, but for some reason was a bit tired. We had to leave the house by 8:30 this morning so we could be to the Timpanogus Temple. As it was, we got there early. It was a beautiful day outside although there was a slight chill in the air.

We knew of an earthquake that had happened in China yesterday so we were a bit concerned that Casey would be involved in that (he wasn't). So, I was looking on my blackberry for some information on that. For the most part we found enough to make us believe he was fine. We didn't even know where he was for sure in China.

Well, we went into the sealing room of the temple. We were surprised to see that Kevin was able to be there, as I wasn't sure since he is still on house arrest (not even on parole). Anyway, who are we to judge? I knew of two ex convicts that were in the room. But then our gospel is one of forgiveness and love, so why not?

My Uncle Gene was the officiator (sealer) of this ceremony. He gave a pretty nice speech before they were married, but I sometimes wonder about some of the things that are said. I appreciated what he said, and I know it was all done in the way of advice as well as a help to the young couple.

After the wedding, we all waited for Derek and Andy to come out of the temple. I had the opportunity to talk with my brother Larry. He told me that he has been living on his savings for the past two years and that he was hoping to be able to turn a profit from his businesses soon. I asked him how the health care reform would affect his businesses and was told that for the most part it wouldn't as he is under 50 employees. There seemed to be some concern for his employees though who would have to purchase some kind of insurance. I don't know what that will do to the businessman. He then told me how some of his construction businesses aren't fairing well partly because most of the construction businesses out there do not have businessmen running them. They don't understand that they are losing money until it is too late. Also, he said he has a problem with those companies that don't pay their fair share of taxes and get the construction licenses they are required to do. They also don't pay workmens compensation which in the long run helps keep the legitimate businesses out and the illegitimate business are able to keep on running because they aren't paying all the expenses.

The health care that we were talking about got to my wife. She sat down and discussed a lot of that with my brother. He was able to explain things to her so much better than I have been able too. He did say that the reform would be better for him personally because of his and his wife's pre-existing conditions. He said that he would pay less. But, he is concerned because his kids and grand-kids will pay more. He doesn't think that is right. He would rather pay his portion. He also told her that he is against us all being forced to pay for some commodity. This is absolutely wrong. It was nice for my wife to have this kind of discussion with my brother.

Well, pictures happened next and then we went to my brothers house to wait for the wedding breakfast. We did finally get over to the church where the wedding breakfast was to take place. It was a good time and my sister did a good job on a limited income.

My wife and I went home and I slept for a bit. My wife stayed home with our son and I went back to the reception with our daughter. We had a good time at the reception and I was able to talk with a lot of my relatives and my sisters ex-husband. I'm glad I went, but I probably stayed too long.

Anyway, my congratulations go to Derek and Andy with wishes that they will have a successful and loving relationship in their forever marriage.

I should also mention that today is my parents 60th wedding anniversary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home