Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Zach Birthday and other miscellaneous stuff

Time is still slipping into the future. Not a lot has gone on, but I am trying to write things here.

Friday, my wife gave me a call and told me to leave work around 3:00. It is my early day, so that wasn't a problem. I got home and soon after that we headed out to the Gateway to meet up with Pam, Anne, and Zach for Zach's birthday. We had decided to go to a dinner and then to a movie. We chose a Mexican place (I can't remember the name, but it is similar to Cafe Rio). It was reasonably priced and was a pretty good meal. We then went to get tickets to a movie. The movie we chose to watch was Aliens and Monsters 3-D. It is an animated film and was pretty good, although Zach (whose Birthday it was) kind of complained about if this was something to go to on your 20th birthday. We told him he could go to his own movie, but we wouldn't be there with him. Anyway, I think he really did enjoy it.

While we were waiting to go see the movie we wandered around the Gateway. We went into the old railroad station (Rio Grande) and it is big and echos go all over. Anne sang in there a little bit and it was hauntingly beautiful. If I tried to do that, it would just be haunting (as is my musical ability).

We let our kids go to Pam and Anne's house and would meet up with them on Saturday.

Saturday came along and we had a few errands to run and we had to make sure to be home at noon because we were having pizza delivered between 12:00 and 2:00 that we ordered for a charity from a Christian Church school group. They had called us at 10:00 to set up this time. My wife made a sheet cake for the birthday party and then we decided that we could take this pizza. We don't know exactly what happened, but the pizza still wasn't to our place by 3:00. We had to be over to my in-laws house by 4:00. We started to try to find phone numbers and such to talk too. I even went to the house of the girl (she was in our neighborhood) but nobody answered the door. Finally my wife went over there just before we were getting ready to leave. The lady of the house answered the door to her because she was sick and wasn't dressed good enough to come to the door for a male. Anyway, she gave us the address to her church where we could pick up the pizza. It was on our way. In the meantime the husband gave me a call to see if we wanted it cooked after all. We decided that would be good because the power had been out at my in-laws house.

As an interesting sidebar, the electricity being out caused some problems at the St. Marks hospital. We know this because Anne works there. Evidently, the power plant that had the problems blew hard enough that it blew out the backup system at St. Marks hospital. Everything had to be dropped by nurses so they could manually ventilate those that needed ventilation and it was pretty hard for a few hours. Anne decided to go into work to help relieve people who were trying to catch up with what they needed to do otherwise.

We got there around 4:15. Pam wasn't there yet, nor was Anne and our kids. We sat there for a bit and then decided to start on the pizza we had brought as well as some lasagna. They did come a bit later and Anne brought a couple more frozen pizzas. She had Zach and Ashley with them. Ashley was a friend of Zach's through his mother when she was with a group called "Mothers of Twins". She has cerebral palsy, but is going up to the UofU and has a 4.0 grade point average. It was good to have her with us. We, of course, had to take our kids home.

It was a regular Sunday, but my wife was worn out and had to go home from church a little bit early. We sent the kids to a fireside where John Bytheway was speaking and I think they enjoyed that, and we just stayed home together. We also had our home teachers come over.

Not much happened yesterday. Tonight I had to go to the church early so we could find out what the Scouts were planning for the camp this Friday. Unfortunately, the only two who showed up were Glen and I. Not much else went on after all of this. I went with my son to BestBuy where he purchased a netbook with some money that he had from his birthday and Christmas, and that's all there is to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home