Sunday, April 05, 2009

General Conference Weekend

Well, nothing much is going on in my personal life. Thursday and Friday I went to work and then came home. Pretty uneventful days.

Friday evening my daughter had played with her band at the University of Utah for a special event. It will be interesting to hear how they did in that competition. It is one that they had to apply for and get before going. The school saw it as quite an honor to be able to do this. My wife did get to the school around 10:00 to pick her up when she got back around 10:30. There were some rumblings about our daughter not having enough sugar in her and according to her she "spazzed". I wonder if we need to check her out for diabetes. I hope not.

Saturday morning, my wife got up to check outside to see if it had snowed. If it had snowed, she was going to drive our son to Jordan High School for his ACT. It had snowed, and the roads weren't looking good. She got up and got ready to leave with him. I also got up. She had to go fill the car up with gas and then came back home. In the meantime, Travis was getting ready for the test. In the long run, my wife decided to let him drive to the school on his own as long as he called us when he arrived there safely. This was done. She then went to take a nap.

I stayed up and read the paper and then worked on some statistics for my mom. The stats are telling what each of us has done in the previous year. I got quite a bit done on it and a little later had my daughter and my son fill in a couple of things for them. At least we were able to get that to my mother today. I then went out and shoveled the walks from the two inches of snow that we had received, and got in just in time to hear most of conference. I missed only the first 10 minutes which is when they announced who the new apostle would be.

Our son arrived home soon after the first session of conference ended and said he thought he had done OK on the ACT. He did say that there were four math problems that he didn't recognize some of the symbols that were there, but who knows, maybe he guessed the correct answers. He said that those would've been discussed had he taken math this year instead of the Engineering courses that he took. However, in science he said that there were some questions he wouldn't have known had he not taken the engineering. Anyway, I'm glad he feels confident about the way he did. Hopefully, it comes out as well as he thinks. We went to the store to pick up a couple of items that we needed. We got home soon after the second session of conference started. Our daughter is filling out a piece of paper with as much as she can for each session, so it is good to get them listening to it a little bit. I still struggle with that and I'm an old man.

Saturday evening, my son and I headed over to the priesthood session of General Conference. We got to the church early, but not early enough to get the soft seats. Those seats got a bit hard, but it was a good session of conference. We just had ice cream when we got home from that. My wife had gone out and picked up some things for the dinner at my parents house today.

This morning we were able to be a bit lazy about the house. The TV went on for Conference and during that my wife made a vegetable dish for the dinner at my parents house. She decided not to come to that though. I took the kids over. The dinner was running out before everybody was through the line. We may have to look at how to fix this problem for future Conference meals. After eating, I talked with my wife and was told I needed to check on her parents. We were originally going to have them watch our dog while we were at my parents, but since my wife stayed home there was no reason. She couldn't get through to them. I found that their phone was unplugged. I went back to my parents.

During the last session of conference, I talked a little bit with Tyler and his wife. I listened to some of the conference but wasn't as attentive as I should've been. But, I got to know them a little bit. They are looking forward to being new parents.

At the end of all that, the kids wanted to go over to the park with some of the cousins. We did that and they were over there maybe a half hour, then we headed home. Kimber was getting her patriarchal blessing from my dad, and that had Meghan and Travis talking a little bit about getting theirs. Travis said that the bishop had told him that he would be talking with him about that, and Meghan said that she had talked to my wife about this.

In talking with my wife tonight, she thought I should've seen how much they understood what they were exactly before committing them to trying to get one. So, it seems I failed in that aspect. I suppose we can have a family home evening on it. We'll have to see what time there is tomorrow for that.

Well, tonight we just watched a couple of church movies and then I went in and played a few games on the computer as well as went to a couple of forums that I frequent. Not much else going on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home