Sunday, March 22, 2009

Scout Camp - Willows

I guess I need to say something about an all employees meeting that happened at work last Thursday. They had breakfast at this meeting first and then we went in to hear about how the company is doing. It wasn't great news, but there didn't seem to be any cause for alarm. Then, near the end of it they gave us a proposal. It was mentioned that they don't want to lay anybody off, so what they are trying to do is get some people to voluntarily give up some of their work hours. What they are after are those who are close to retirement or those who are only working for the benefits. They will still receive full benefits as well as full retirement activity if they will voluntarily do this. They won't be the ones who would be included in the RIF (any more so) if it came down to that. If there aren't enough who voluntarily give up the time, and if the company feels it is in trouble then forced reduction in times would be the next step. So, I guess this bad economy is starting to hit where I work. I have been told by my co-worker who went into another meeting that the IT department seemed to be doing pretty good, and it sounds like we have so much work to do that we more than likely wouldn't be hit by all of this. Anyway, I am looking at this positively feeling that at least the company is trying to be pro-active on this to avoid lay offs. I hope enough people volunteer to reduce their time.

Friday was another day at the office. I left a little bit early so I could go to Costco and pick up a couple of needed items as well as get home early enough to get my stuff together for Scout Camp. My son had decided to come with me, so I had him put together his own tin foil dinner first. I used sausage for my foil dinner, and I have to say, it was quite tasty.

After getting everything loaded into the car, I headed out to Glens house. Nobody was there when we got there so we waited around. When most of the people were there, it was decided that I should head out so we could get a good spot out at the Willows. We got the spot we wanted and just barely before everybody else came along. I was glad for that.

My son and I set up our tent and he decided that the reason I had brought him along with me was so he could help me do this. I assured him this was not the case. Glen was surprised that one that was as old as Travis would want to come, but come he did. The scouts forgot to bring one of the sets of poles for their tents, so I had to head back with my son and the Senior Patrol leader to pick them up. I also picked up some anti-histamines for Glen (that he had forgotten). They had started the fire by the time we got back and it wasn't long after that that we were able to put our foil dinners in the coals.

We had a nice dinner and then had a campfire program so one of the scouts could get a part of his merit badge requirement done for the Communications merit badge. We then let the boys go out and play some night games in the field that was by the camp. My son went out there and enjoyed doing that. As adults we just talked around the fire for a bit. We pulled them back in around 9:45 so we could get ready for bed.

The night wasn't too cold, but it got cold enough that I put the second sleeping bag on top of me. I mentioned this to my son at around 2:30 AM and he decided that he would do the same. I had decided to see if I could go a full night with the humidifier on my CPAP machine or not, and that was a mistake. The 2:30 wake-up was because my CPAP hose had condensed enough that the water was gurgling in it. I shook it out and tried again, and it happened again at around 6:30 in the morning. I won't be doing that when it is a bit cold outside.

When we woke up, we put our sleeping bags together and cleaned up our cots. We then went out and spent time with the other scouts who were getting breakfast together. I had only taken cereal bars and chocolate milk for this, but was able to score a couple of sausages as well. After clean up, the boys got ready to do some things for their pioneering merit badge. Glen had brought up what we needed and I think they actually enjoyed that. My son enjoyed not having to do any of it, and just watched with us adult leaders.

We packed everything up, and then Dallas came to us with the problem that he had lost his cell phone. It was on vibrate, so to call it seemed useless. We swept the campsite for garbage (and the cell phone) and then sent them out on a nature walk of where they had gone earlier in the morning to get signs of life as well as native plants (for Josh's first class). They came up with nothing. We finally called the cell phone to see if we could hear vibrations in the truck. Sure enough, I heard it. The other two adults didn't, and after I heard it a couple of the scouts could hear it as well. I pulled a sleeping bag out of the truck when I felt the vibration in it. One of the other boys had it packed in with his sleeping bag. I was glad we had found it.

We got home with no further difficulties. We both had showers and did a few things around the house. I scanned a bunch of pictures into the computer for Travis Eagle Court of Honor and then Pam and Zach came home with my daughter. They had gone to a movie. We visited for a bit, and then they were getting ready to leave. We decided that our kids could go with them, of which they were grateful because this would mean they wouldn't have to go to stake conference tomorrow.

After they all left, my wife and I went out to dinner at Wingers. We shared the fajitas that we bought and they were good. We then went to the store to pick up some dessert and bought a few more things while we were there.

After arriving home, we were able to decide the order that we wanted the CD to be burned in, and I finished up some work and got that all ready to take to Glen.

This morning, we got up. I had a migraine during the night that I had gotten to a headache. This headache stayed with me all the way through conference and then just slightly after. During conference I had to go into the foyer for a minute because the lights were hurting my head. I closed my eyes out there for a bit, and then went back in. All of the speakers did a great job and it was an enjoyable conference. One humorous thing that happened was that near the end when the stake president was speaking, the fire alarms went off. The stake president said that he was sending a couple of men out to make sure there was no problem, and continued speaking. The voice came on telling us about the emergency and to evacuate and he joked that it was hard to speak above the racket (which it was). The flashing lights didn't help my headache. Nothing was wrong, but we stayed in there through it all. It was during the last ten minutes of the conference. The closing song was announced and just before it was to happen the sirens and the voice went off again. He came back to the pulpit and announced, "Sing loud". Which we did.

After arriving home from that, I took the CD I had made for the Eagle to Glen so he could come up with a presentation. I then came home and had to go online to take care of some work problems. After finishing that, I relaxed for a bit with my wife. We were finally called by Pam to go on over to the in-laws house to have some dinner and pick up our kids. We did that, and after visiting for a bit, left.

Well, that's the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home