Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ipod Wars

Today I have a frustration. I have mentioned in here that I had had some problems with returning my sons Ipod Touch to Wal-mart after getting what I considered to be a better deal at Target. The returning of that to Wal-mart made it so it wasn't worth so much that I got a $25 gift certificate for purchasing the same thing at Target. The experience I had on Friday makes it even a bit more of a problem.

Thursday evening, after arriving home, my son approached me and told me that his Ipod wasn't keeping a charge. I called the people who have the extended warranty (which I purchased) to see what to do. I was informed that I needed to go into Target and exchange it since it was still under the 90 days warranty. So, I went with my son to Target. We saw Spencer who was in the old ward and were told that they didn't have a replacement for it as they were all out. He also called the Jordan Landing store which was out as well. He finally called Fort Union (which was close to my work) and told them to hold one for me.

Friday was a normal day at work. I did leave briefly to get my care inspected so I can go in and pay some taxes (I still need to do the last part) and I had a brake light out as well as had to fix a wiper blade. That all done, I continued to work.

I left work at around 3:00 in the afternoon to go to Target. Arriving at the Customer Service desk, I told them the problem and was told to go get another ipod Touch from electronics. I did this. Then, in looking over the receipt it said that the return value was $204.99 instead of $229.99 because of the $25 gift certificate. I was told that they could not take one in at the $205 and then not charge me the $230. Instead, I need to return the $25 gift certificate, and since I spent it on the extended warranty, in order to get the new ipod I would have to make up the $25. I told them this is crazy. She said it was the rules. I asked for a manager.

The first manager came and repeated that what I was being told was the actual case. I only talked to her briefly but asked for somebody else. A guy came over and he told me the same thing. I told them that it was ridiculous to give me a sale and then when the item breaks to tell me that the sale was no longer valid. He told me that they should not have to eat the $25 either. After all I had benefited from it (and not them). I told them that it was their sale, and was corrected in that it was a promotion. We went back and forth for a bit. He was getting upset at me because I wasn't budging on what was right. He finally told me that he was done going round and round with me and getting nowhere. With him getting angry, I am sure that I got angry as well. I told them that I wanted to talk to corporate. He wanted me to go home and talk to them, but I wanted to get it taken care of now. I asked if he could call a number (that they had furnished to me on a comments card), and he was upset that he should have to call for me. I asked for the phone. He gave it to me and walked away.

I didn't see the phone number immediately on the card (and I didn't have on my reading glasses) and asked where the number was. He was across the room and asked (sarcastically) if he had to dial the number for me. I called him an ass (under my breath) and found the phone number and started to dial. He heard what I had said and came to grab the phone away from me. He told me to leave the store as we struggled over the phone. I told him that I hadn't finished what I came for. He told me to leave and that I was never to come back into the Target store. I refused to leave. He grabbed the phone from me and was going to call security. I said, "You have got to be kidding me". He continued that I needed to leave and I wasn't just going away. I had not done anything to be evicted from the store other than being upset that they would not give me what I still feel was rightfully mine. I talked him out of calling security, and got the phone back.

While I called the 800 number on the phone another guy was hanging around (he seemed to be their manager despite the fact that the one I was dealing with told me he was the top) and told me that we would have to talk after I was off the phone. He had been hanging around behind me for a little while before that. Well, I talked to somebody at the 1-800 number and was basically told that I would either have to return the gift card or pay them the extra $25 for the return. What they all seemed to miss was that I wasn't returning anything. I was coming in to exchange ipod for ipod because it broke while it was under warranty, and I was told to do that from the people with the extended warranty. They kept on acting like I was trying to steal this $25. They shouldn't have to eat it, I should. I tried to get through to them that this made no sense to give a promotion and then go back on it. I asked the guy on the phone who else I could talk too about this. He sent me to somebody in electronics. I was on hold for awhile waiting for the phone to be answered.

While on hold this new manager started to tell me that I had abused his employees and that this was unacceptable behavior. I asked about the abuse of a customer. He didn't like that much. I was the one at fault (completely) as far as he was concerned. He also tried a new scenario. He asked if he had purchased a truck and a promotion was that he got a shell. Well, if he decided to return the truck but keep the shell was he justified. I told him that wasn't the same scenario. In order for it to be the same the truck had to have a problem while it was under warranty and then if he went in to get a new truck (of the same exact kind) he should be able to keep the shell to put on the next truck. He told me that I wasn't right in what I was assuming.

The electronics guy came on the phone. I told him the whole story (as I had with the first one) including them wanting to throw me out of the store, and he told me to hold while he could see what could be done. I was finally told that it they could do something for me and to get somebody from Target on the phone. I gave it to the most recent manager that was there. He talked for awhile and then hung up the phone. I was then told that before he could do anything, I had to apologize to his workers. I thought this was ludicrous because they had it from people above them that they could do this for me. But, to avoid conflict, and to get my way, I went along. The first one that came to me was the first (who I didn't think I had offended). I was surprised by this, and told her that I had nothing against her and I didn't think I had been rude or abrasive to her. I also told her that since she felt I did, I had better apologize because no offense was ever meant. In the meantime the other one came up. I turned to him and said that I had meant to offend him, but I was in the wrong in choosing to do so, and I apologized. I also let him know that I felt he had started the anger through how I felt I was being treated there. But, I did apologize and I meant it. He shook my hand saying no hard feelings. They then went forward with getting me the ipod for ipod trade without having to pay extra.

Another problem presented itself. The warranty that I now had was no longer valid because it was with the first ipod touch. I didn't bring in the receipt for it, but did call home to get the receipt number so they could look it up on their computer system. One thing that I hadn't noticed when I bought it was that I was charged $29, and they gave me the $19 card instead. I don't know what happened there exactly, but something that wasn't right happened. They weren't able to take care of the problem without having a receipt. I took the ipod (the new one) and left the store. It was 4:30. I had spent almost an hour and a half with this going back and forth and being on hold. It was a frustrating experience. But, I had prevailed.

I had been told in the store that yelling didn't get you anywhere (I don't think I ever actually yelled, but I do get loud, especially when I am upset). But, evidently yelling does finally get you somewhere when you get to the right people.

I arrived home and told my wife about the experience. I also told her that I still had to get the warranty attached, so after eating some dinner, I went to the store in Jordan Landing that I had bought the original one at. I asked for a manager and showed him the problem with the $19 versus the $29 warranty. I also told him that I had to return it so I had to get the new warranty over to this one. He told me that he needed to figure some things out, but that I should go grab the right warranty from electronics (which I did). He was able to figure out how to return the one warranty, but now had to figure out how to attach the new one to the new ipod. He told me that he would have to return the ipod and then re-buy it after putting the proceeds on a gift card. It took him a little while, and I asked about the price difference at which he said that since I had gotten it for that price it was a simple matter to do a price change on it. He told me I shouldn't have had this problem in the first place. He then sold me the $29 warranty for 1 cent. He told me I owed him a penny and when I went to get the penny, he laughed and told me he was only kidding.

Once again, I told my wife about the pleasant experience in comparison to the experience from hell, and she told me that I needed to talk to Target. Finally, I did call Target. My conversation was cut short because it was quitting time, but I got everything through to them. At one point she went to call the store and talked to the store manager at Jordan Landing. She came back on and said that from his understanding he had taken care of me quite well. I told her that he was correct and that she had called the wrong Target. Now, I felt I had to apologize to him. The woman I talked to was flabbergasted (or seemed to be) at the treatment I had been through. I was told that this would be given to the proper people so they could at the very least look into it, though I will not hear anything else from it. Well, that is what I refer to as Ipod Wars. I'm just glad that it is taken care of.

So, Saturday came and went, and we really didn't do anything, and then there was today.

Today, we went to our normal meetings. My wife was able to go to Relief Society because Allie wasn't there, and then we went to Sunday School as well. After Sacrament meeting, my son and I went to do our home teaching and got home in time for our home teachers to come over. Nothing out of the ordinary today (except that I got my home teaching done for the month).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home