Monday, May 26, 2008

Time keeps on getting by me

It's been over a week since I last wrote here. Not too much has happened, so I haven't written anything, but I will put a couple of things here anyway.

This last Tuesday I went out with the Young Men/Young Women of the ward (well there were two of each in the group I went with) to teach a discussion to one of the members of our Ward. As a leader, I was just to be there and really let the youth take care of what needed to be taken care of. I was with Cassie, Chris, Meghan and Dallin. We went to the Russels house and to start with they were watching American Idol. David Archuletta was singing his second song and they wanted to hear it. I told them they could watch that one since Archuletta is a Mormon. Well, when that was finished, we started.

Cassie, being the oldest, took the reins and had this discussion start with a prayer. After that, she started into her part of the discussions. Brother Russel derailed her a bit asking a couple of leading questions. The Young Men and Young Women couldn't see that they were leading type of questions, and it was a little bit difficult for them. Sister Russel told Brother Russel they were told to be nice. He hadn't gotten that memo. It wasn't too bad, but he got them off track a few times. Chris really struggled to get through his portion of it. I kind of felt bad for him, but he did a pretty good job. I thought the rest did a good job as well, although they left with a few questions. It was an interesting learning experience. We went back and there was some strawberry shortcake. I ate one little one, and it was good. It wasn't good for my heart though.

We had a concert to go to on Wednesday and Thursday. Both my son and my daughter had their own at the high school and the junior high school. They both lasted almost two hours (but who's complaining). Both my son and my daughter did well in their respective bands.

Friday, I ran a couple of errands for my son and his school. I had to go in and pay some money to the school so he can get his last report card (it was rental on his French Horn and a $35 fee just for being in the band). I also got what they had for his possible schedule next year so I could take it over to the seminary building to see if they will take him into early morning seminary. They only like to do that for the twelfth graders. In my opinion, they are making this way to hard. Since our son will be in tech school next year (he will be earning concurrent credits for high school as well as college) he is not able to fit in seminary. I told them this, and they warned me multiple times that a lot of people who take early morning seminary don't graduate seminary. I told them that his chances were better to graduate seminary if he took early morning seminary than if he didn't. If he doesn't get early morning seminary, I told them, he would not graduate at all. I would also be driving him there every morning on my way to work. They continued on with that kind of information which is kind of upsetting to me. So, if there is so much failure, why do they even offer it. I still don't know if they will let him in or not because the twelfth graders have the first choice. That was kind of a pain. The one thing I forgot to pick up was his test for driving so he can get his drivers license. I spent the rest of the day mostly with my wife.

Later on Friday evening, we went over to my in-laws house. Casey came up with his grandparents, so we went to spend time with them. It seemed everybody was there. We ended up going out to Chuck-a-Rama for dinner and had a good visit with the Magruders. We let our kids go with Aunt Pam home and we spent the weekend alone. We didn't really do anything over that weekend though, and we did go to a movie and dinner with Pam, our kids and Zack. We saw the new Indiana Jones movie. It was pretty good, but more of the same from what you would expect from an Indiana Jones movie. Even on Memorial day we didn't do too much. We had a nice dinner at Pam and Annes when we went to pick up our kids.

That's the week in a nutshell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home