Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers Day

Well, mothers day has come and gone. Overall, I think it all went well.

I had stopped at a few places most of the week to pick up odds and ends for my wifes mothers day. Of course, the day I picked up my wifes card for her birthday, I had also picked up cards for mothers day (my wifes and both of our mothers). That wasn't too terribly hard. The hardest part for my wife was trying to figure out something for her. I never did come up with too much though. She kept on telling me that we would take the rebate that we got back from the government ($600 for each of us + $300 for each of our kids) and purchase trees and plants around our house (finally). I didn't think that was too terribly personal, so on Thursday I went out and purchased her some lotions (because she likes these so well). From the kids, I had talked with both of them about making her a corn bag (with my daughters new sewing machine). This is a bag that you have corn in and heat up in the microwave and put it on the part of your body that needs warmth for some reason. Anyway, I had to go IFA to pick up a 50 lb bag of field corn and another day went to Walmart to pick up material. I decided to do it with towels instead of the regular way. This was probably a mistake, but it's what I did. I also had to get thread and some bobbins for the sewing machine so there would be extra bobbins to work with. Anyway, Saturday morning came and my daughter and son started to look at the project. The bobbins I had bought were the wrong kind, and my son and I had to hurry out to find the right ones. We were also cleaning the house, so it wasn't something I was happy with.

After getting everything we needed, I came on home. They sewed up the two bags and when I saw them filled with corn (and felt the weight) I knew I had made a mistake in getting the kitchen towels to do this. The one took about nine minutes to heat up and the other about six. We were all laughing about it, but didn't want to go out and get more material. We decided that we would give it to my wife anyway the next day (today).

Saturday evening our son was able to go with his Trek family (from last year) up to a cabin in Big Cottonwood Canyon. I called to check up on what all they were doing and since I was talking to the Ma said that this is Craig, the other ma (I meant pa but didn't say that). She laughed at me and said that I was just trying to get in on the mothers day gifts. Anyway, he went there and then we took our daughter to a piano recital. I had told our daughter that she took so much time getting ready that she would be the prettiest girl there. She told me that she would be that without even trying.

After the piano recital we hurried up and ate at Wingers and got her home in time to go to her first stake dance. I teased her a bit about dancing with boys. She just kept on rolling her eyes at me and my foolishness as a dad who is concerned about his daughter and going out to be around the opposite sex. It just seems so different (this world of boys with my daughter). I know my other daughter has been out in it for some time, but I wasn't around her so much during that time at all. I got tired and went to bed before they arrived home. They came home (according to my wife) at around 11:00. I heard them but didn't get up because I also heard my wife talking to them.

This morning we all got up and dragged ourselves to church. I had made a ready made turkey sausage sandwich for my wife for breakfast and that was about as good as it got since we have the early morning church services. It seems we weren't the only ones dragging. The parking lot at church was practically empty when we arrived. People just were not on time. We set up chairs and stuff for my wifes special needs class. I then went into the deacons quorum. The deacons quorum started out by filling out papers for their merit badges for summer camp rather than the lesson. That wasn't what was meant to happen, but it is what happened. We then had a 10 minute lesson. I then went into the special needs class (because it is more interesting than gospel doctrine class) and helped out in there.

Sacrament meeting came along and it was the bishopric that spoke. They mentioned that last year (the first year of our ward) they had skipped over doing any kind of mothers day gifts. Evidently a lot of people complained, because they decided not to do that again. The bishop said that he just thought each family would take care of their mothers but now realized that maybe he needs to do something as a ward. The gift they gave to each mother was a set of wildflower seeds that should do about a 5x5 area in the garden. This should go well with what my wife and I were thinking to do. We may grab a couple of pots to plant them in and put at our entry way into the house.

Anyway, after arriving home I made a quick dinner of chicken tacos and then we went in with the gifts to mom. She laughed with us at the weight of her corn bags. They really were heavy. We need to weigh them to see just how heavy they are. She got a bit upset with me for getting her the lotions that I had picked up because I wasn't supposed to do that (at least I wasn't really in trouble). I then sat down to watch the Jazz game (I know I shouldn't do this on the Sabbath, but I really don't watch any games until they are to the play offs). My wife watched some movie on another channel. We left home at 4:00, before the game was over (it only had a couple more minutes left) and I listened a bit on the radio. It went into overtime. Just before we got to my mother-in-laws house the game finished with the Jazz winning. It is now 2-2.

We visited with my mother-in-law for awhile and had some pizza. She opened up her gifts (we gave her a small ottoman and she was also given a digital picture frame). I tried to stay for a bit to load the picture frame with some pictures I had put onto a flash drive. It didn't go as smoothly as I hoped. We had to get to my parents house as well. We hurried to my parents house and visited there for awhile with just my little brother and his family. Two of my older brothers had already been there and gave her some flowers. My little brother also gave her some flowers. We gave her candy. We then headed back to the in-laws to finish loading the picture frame and came on home.

Tonight, while we were sitting at home the wind kicked up. It was a wild wind. There was dust kicked up all around and the winds were a damaging type of wind. It looks like our house survived the quick storm, but it is going to be raining most of the night I think.

My wife went to bed with one of the over sized corn bags, and it was a good mothers day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home