Sunday, May 18, 2008

Fathers and Sons

Another week has come and gone. I have been busy at work trying to figure out a new process to run NCCI stuff and doing just analytical work without doing much programming gets tiring. It all has to be done, and I am the one for the job, but I have to take breaks a bit more often in order to keep my sanity. Some of the code that I have been looking at is really rugged. It gets the job done, but it has been repaired so much that there is a lot of redundancy in the code. That's really nobodies fault, it is more the fault of the way the business changes and people not taking time to find out exactly how things are done, or should be done. Hopefully, the way I come out of this will look really good and get rid of this redundancy. This last Friday, I did have a welcome reprieve in that there was a problem with getting information on the policies into RiskMaster. There have been claims that were put in areas that we weren't aware would happen, so this caused the way that we were putting policy information in to be wrong. I was able to get it all fixed on Friday, early enough to get home and get moving for a camp out.

As soon as I got home, I asked my son if he was starting to pack for the overnighter. He showed me his little gym bag with his clothes in it and told me he was ready to go. I grabbed a small backpack and got myself ready as well. I still had to get my battery and the C-pap machine. Of course, we needed a tent and then I grabbed my cot (I'm not going to rough it here). A couple of camp chairs and sleeping bags and we were ready to go.

We chose to eat on the way to the Fathers and Sons camp. We ended up going to Scone Cutter because my son said he liked their fry sauce (of all the things to like). He got himself a ham scone sandwich and I grabbed a pulled pork one. Mine was pretty tasty. We didn't eat it at the Scone cutter. Instead we chose to go up into the mountains hoping it would all stay warm enough (it was). Nobody seemed to know where "The Village" (that's the name of the campground at Tracy was supposed to be called) was. My son drove and we ended up on some pretty narrow dirt trails in looking for our people. In the long run, we found them, but there were only two fathers up there and they weren't sure if this was the right place or not. They had asked one of the ladies that I had asked and she went driving with them and told them that it was here. A few more people showed up and also didn't know if we were in the right spot. My son and I ate our dinner. While they were all talking about whether we were in the right place or not, my son and I grabbed our gear and set up camp. We picked our spot. Soon, others decided they would do the same. We helped a bunch of them set up as well.

There were some footballs tossed about in the parking area. I moved my vehicle as far forward as I could so it wouldn't get hit by a football (as some of them were). I wandered around the campground visiting with a few people and my son had disappeared. A little later there were some rocks coming down the mountain, so I told the boys that were up there they needed to get down from there. It ended up being my son along with Austin and Chris. They came down and I helped them get some cooking gear over to where they would make breakfast in the morning.

My son disappeared again, and I continued to visit. We had one Indian father and son who came up. They are in my neighborhood and the son will be coming into our troop in another couple of months. I have seen him with the 11 year old scouts. I asked a bit about the fact that he wasn't able to have beef for religious reasons that I saw on a permission slip, and was told that the son would be allowed to choose for himself. However, I have to be able to help him stand up for himself and his beliefs when the Scouts are deciding on dinners. We talked a little bit about their Hindu religion and I also told him that this particular camp was a yearly thing done around the time of the church relieving the Aaronic priesthood. I had to explain what Aaronic meant to him, but he seemed very pleased to hear a little bit about our church. We actually talked a little bit about the first vision of Joseph Smith as well. He told me a little bit about the four religions that have come out of India (Hindu, Buddhism, Sheikism, and Jainism). I had never heard of the last one, but it was interesting to find out about it.

We went to the campfire, and I still didn't know where my son was. There was a small campfire program put on by the 12 year old scouts, and then people just roasted marshmallows and ate smores. I think people had a pretty good time.

I had to go find my son and make sure he wasn't getting into too much mischief. The three boys had gone climbing again and my son made it down, but the other two were a little bit nervous about coming down. They tried to call their dad on his cell phone, but he didn't answer. They ended up calling home to mom and she called dad. Dad just happens to be in the army and he saw my son, and then looked up at his son and his nephew. He told them that it was easy to come down, but then had to go up there to show them the way down. He then said, "This is the future Army Rangers. Calling their mommy when they need help." Anyway, all was well with that.

I sat outside for quite awhile in the evening, just enjoying the outdoors (we were quite close to the road though) and just looked up at the moon and stars. I still had to check on my son. I found him getting into mischief, but it wasn't too bad. They had decided to scare Tom Thorne by shaking his tent and throwing some small rocks at his tent. I heard the yell when they succeeded in scaring him. It was general Tom foolery, and I saw no reason they couldn't do a bit of teasing. Austin and Christ were pretty upset at Tom for the winter camp shenanigans that had happened. Evidently, Tom had been quite mean up there. They were visiting each other quite late. I went over to brother Goodner and one of his friends who had the Jazz/Lakers game on. The Jazz lost this game and it was the end of the run for the Jazz in the playoffs. They just barely lost it though, so it was kind of rough. I went back to my tent and got into bed. About an hour after that my son finally came in.

Morning came, and I wasn't able to sleep so I started to put some of my stuff away and back in my vehicle. My son woke up and joined me. We were the first ones down and had our spot cleared. My son then went over to start the breakfast. I had to help them set up a little bit, but they got pancakes, bacon, and eggs going in pretty good time. I then helped clean up after breakfast, and as I put the camp chef into the truck, Wade Morden and his two sons came walking down the road. I asked if they were going to breakfast, and they were. I told them it was all done and all packed. Wades son had a frown on his face and couldn't believe he missed the breakfast. Wade asked what time do they eat around here. It was 8:45 at this time. People cleared out, and I helped get rid of the signs that we had been there. I was one of the last ones out of there (but there were a couple more people) and we got home by around 9:30.

The house was empty when we arrived home, as my wife and daughter had gone for a coverlook photo at Jaylynn studios so my daughter could be one of the stars at the orthodontists office. The orthodontist paid for it, but my wife tells me that we may be putting out a little bit of money in buying a photo or two (they were so darn cute!). While they were away, my son and I cleaned up all of our stuff and a little bit of the house cleaning that needed to be done. I also did a little bit of work outside in our yard.

My wife and daughter came home around 1:00 in the afternoon. We left our home around 3:00 so we could take a dresser to Pam and Annes house for Zack to stay with them. We had a nice dinner with them, and I had a nice visit with Zack while they were watching a movie. We arrived home around 10 in the evening.

Today was church. I had a major headache and barely got ready for church on time. Nothing of note really happened at church. Tonight though, there was a fireside for the youth and the youth leaders. There were two sister missionaries who came and showed us a bit of how the discussions are done. Then each person there received a piece of paper telling what part of a discussion they will be doing this coming Tuesday. Each of them will be going out in a group of about 4 or 5 people to teach some of the members in our ward. This was done about two years ago when we were in the other ward and was pretty successful. Hopefully, this will be the same. It was an interesting fireside at least.

Well, that's about it. I guess I got pretty wordy though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home