Thursday, August 12, 2010

Scout Camp - Prepare Travis for College - Helping In-laws

I just looked at the last time I wrote anything in here. I am getting worse at this as time goes on, rather than better. I feel a bit guilty for not writing in a journal, and know that it is something that I should just do. Oh well, I guess I can only move on from here.

Since I last wrote, I have taken a week off of work and went to Scout Camp. It was at Camp Tomahawk which is up in the Uintahs. We started out with only two Scouts. Both of them were named (I guess they still are) Parker. In the middle of the week we had another Parker come up and Jackson (who I told we were simply going to call Parker to keep with the theme). The camp was quite nice and we were able to get the boys to their classes for merit badges. We mostly got to relax around camp, and a couple of times I got on my computer up by the office area where they had Wifi. I even ran most of the relay race that hey had done but because I am out of shape and because of the high altitude this pretty much wore me out. Nothing much happened to really talk about up there. The weather was good other than at night when it down poured a couple of the nights.

I arrived home on Saturday and found that we would leave for my in-laws cabin on Sunday the 25th of July. We did some fireworks on the 24th with my in-laws. Pam and Anne were there as well as Gladys.

As a family, we spent Sunday through Wednesday evening up at the cabin. We didn't do much, but I continued taking the walks that I had started taking on the summer camp, and we did do things like bowling and other activities that you can do up there. We had an enjoyable time as a family. This would be one of the last activities we could really do as a family before our son takes off for school.

Speaking of school, we are trying to get the various things that Travis needs for school. Since he is living on campus we have to get him basic living things. That is costing a fair amount. He also had to get him a new laptop (which he is mostly covering) and then there are still the books. I think we are almost there now, so it shouldn't be too bad going forward. The other thing we will need to worry about is his food allowance.

Travis has also gone in to talk to the bishop about a mission. He has been made an Elder now (by me) and is doing the growing up thing. We have to somehow work out his education with his mission and there is still a lot to be done there.

One thing that we didn't want to have to take care of, but we are is that my mother-in-law has not been paying all of her bills on time. We found out when we went to leave the cabin and gave her a phone call. The phone had been disconnected. When we arrived at her home we went in and I got on the phone with the phone company and paid their bill on my credit card so we could get it back in service quickly. We looked at a couple of other bills at the same time and paid the ones that were overdue or due shortly. Last week we went back to their home and I put them on electronic payment of most of their bills, and we will work on a couple of others as we go. I will also be monitoring their account to make sure that nothing untoward happens there.

Melanie had been put into the psyche ward just before I went on Scout camp and was released just before I got home. She seems to be doing a bit better than before, so maybe she is taking her meds now.

Another thing that I am probably going to be involved in is a cell phone tower they want to put in our park. It is a 69 foot monstrosity and will be an ugly thing right in the soccer park by us and across the street from our church. I went to a city planning meeting to put in my objection to it, and for now it is tabled. They want more information on it before September the 14th when they will once again bring it up and maybe do an action on it. Jolyn Alger is doing a lot of the legwork as she did on the Jordan School District thing.

Well, that sums up about a months worth of stuff. I haven't been too specific on anything, as happens when you aren't writing regularly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home