Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Death of Randy

Work was quite busy today. I have a lot to do and so little time at the moment. I was glad to get home. When I arrived home, I gathered up some books so that I could get them to the library on time. Just before I got out of the house, the phone rang.

My dad was on the phone. He didn't have a lot of information, but what I heard stunned me. My brother, Randy, was driving home and was hit by two cars. He's dead. Dad told me that Eilene was incoherent at times while she was talking with him and that she was actually in the ambulance when she called.

My wife wouldn't let me go to the library. She didn't think I would be able to drive there because of this news. She was coloring her cousins hair at the time. Well, I had to do something. I ended up getting the dog and taking a walk. I can't believe my brother is dead. He is 52 years old. He leaves behind his wife and five children. The oldest is around 25 or so. The youngest is 15.

After my wife was done with her cousins hair (and she took my library books in), we headed out to my parents house. Karen was there. I didn't really know what to say to her about her dad dying in this way. She went to the airport about 1/2 hour after we got there to be with her mom and her family. Randy lives in North Carolina. One son was driving home from Virginia, and the other son is driving home from Florida. I don't know when I will be flying out there yet. The tickets are quite high priced.

It seems that my brother was coming home from work, and was turning left across traffic to get into his subdivision. He was waiting for traffic, when he was hit behind into the oncoming traffic, and then pretty well was hit head on. They believe he died instantly. Even so, there was a member of his ward who gave him a priesthood blessing. His son, Gordon, was driving somewhere and saw his fathers car in the road and called his mom letting her know that Randy had been involved in an accident. As mentioned earlier, Eilene called my dad from the ambulance.

I don't know how I feel. My wife doesn't think it has fully hit me yet, and she is confused by the way I am acting (or not acting). It all seems so surreal. I don't know what to think or to feel at the moment. I am grateful for the gospel and for the fact that all of us will be resurrected. I am grateful that my brother lived the gospel, and I am pretty certain that he will be in the Celestial Kingdom. He is a great guy. I have had some tears, but it still doesn't quite seem real to me. My wife says that I am acting funny. I think it is frustrating her because she doesn't quite understand the way I think at the moment.

12 Comments:

Blogger Tanya S. said...

I'm so sorry. I'll keep you and your families in my prayers.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know what to say. I am so sorry for your loss. At least your faith helps you deal with such gigantic speedbumps in the road of life. I envy you for having that special gift of faith.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Craig's Blog said...

Tanya, I thank you for your faith and prayers in this matter.

Ray, I don't know who you are, but I also thank you for your sympathy. These are indeed speedbumps, I just don't know that they are gigantic (because of my faith). I wish, with all my heart that people such as yourself could gain this special gift of faith (as I have). Know this. You are a child of God, He loves you, and you can go to Him in prayer anytime.

11:48 AM  
Blogger kuri said...

Craig,
I'm so sorry.
kuri

4:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Craig,

I'm harra on the web forums. I think we've interacted a time or two. It's people like you, Barney, and Daleen, and Kuri that led me to believe I could do a blog. I've enjoyed it ever since

Once again, I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm sure he's reaping the rewards of a righteous life. I guess we should just be thankful noone else from his family was in the car

5:58 AM  
Blogger kuri said...

Craig,
I don't know if this information will be useful or anything, but many airlines offer a funeral discount. When my wife's brother died and she had to fly to Japan, she got the ticket for half price. She had to give her brother's name and the name of the mortuary for the airline to confirm.
kuri

7:45 AM  
Blogger MLEH said...

Craig, I'm so sorry. My younger brother died very suddenly in a freak accident nine years ago, and I remember with dreadful clarity that terrible phone call, sitting numbly on the basement steps as I listened to my brother-in-law relate the awful details. You and your family will be in my prayers.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Craig's Blog said...

Ray, OK, I know who you are. I do appreciate your love and concern at this time. Thank you.

Also thanks Kuri, and Mleh. You too are appreciated.

I am home now from the funeral, and doing OK.

3:25 PM  
Blogger filmwidow said...

I'm sorry for your and your family's loss.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Craig's Blog said...

Thanks.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Craig,

I was absolutely shocked when I read about Randy's accident (I found out just a few weeks ago, it's now may 23rd 2007). I'm so sorry!
In 1988 I had just arrived from the Netherlands at the Toxicology Program at NCSU when Randy started working in the same lab. I remember all the trouble he and his family went through to find a house. Close to Raleigh houses were expensive, but further away from the University it took a good car, and a lot of gasoline to get to work. In the first house his family lived in, the carpet triggered his asthma so much that he had to sleep in a tent in the yard. They tried to shampoo and clean the carpet to get the dog hair out, but it didn't work. The family had to move. The second house was better, but Randy drove the old car of one of the professors. In turn he would try to fix it. Throughout all his starting problems Randy NEVER complained. He just worked hard, needed only a small corner of the labbench. He showed me once how he disected his caterpillars to isolate Cytochrome P450. Randy is and was a person to not ever forget. Such a great and friendly man, who would always help everybody.

My thoughts are with Eileen, Randy's children and all who loved him.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Craig's Blog said...

Thanks, Nanette. Your thoughts are appreciated. I always knew Randy was a great man, but through his death, I have found just how great he really was.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home